Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

how can I wire the tow bar?

51steve

Enthusiast
Hello everyone,

Well, one day into the driving the new old car- so far so good. Since I haven't had any break-downs in the history of owning my car, I've decided to put her to work- the car that is.
Before posting questions I try to search the posts to see if someone has posted the same question I have. Snarthens had posted this question a while ago, and I was wondering if anyone has found a neat and tidy way of carrying out this procedure, or am I going to have to just cut into and splice the trailer plug into the wires in the rear of the car?

Thanks,

Steve

Since there is no tow bar wire harness provided, you will have to cut into the existing rear end wires.

If you don't want to cut into the existing wires pull the rear light lens off - on some cars the rear light connectors are bared wires in spring clamps - could put some extra wires for the towbar in the spring clips.

I've also been thinking about this as Claude has a tow bar fitted but not yet wired up - I keep putting the job off - Malcolms solution seems a nice tidy idea but would need another wire for the number plate light as that wires through the top of the rear door/hatch.

Claude you take only need one wire for the sidelights, the number plate light runs off the sidelight wire so if you need a separate wire just join it into the towbar wiring rather than the car wiring.

Back