Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

How to i.d. a Renault motor?

Mike Cordeiro

Enthusiast
Hi everyone.
Does anybody know if the engine cc can be identified by the oval tag on the motor, or the engine No. ? Or what is the best reliable way to identify the engine size. i.e. 1100,1300 or 1400 ?
Thanks

Hi everyone.
Does anybody know if the engine cc can be identified by the oval tag on the motor, or the engine No. ? Or what is the best reliable way to identify the engine size. i.e. 1100,1300 or 1400 ?
Thanks
Hi Mike
The first three numbers (or letters and numbers) on the rectangular engine plate are the most reliable guide. For example, most 4GTLs (1108cc) will have the number 688; if it's an R5 engine, it may start with 810 (1289cc), etc. It sounds from what you say, though, as if the plate on your engine may be different.
For Cléon engines, there's a good page here:

Last edited:
If engine plate is missing or has been replaced:

1289 and 1397 engines have rocker covers held by three studs.
1397 cylinder head is the only one with long reach (3/4" thread length) spark plugs.
956 is impossible to tell apart from 1108 without measuring bore diameter.

This is impossibly anoraky, but I seem to remember that the low-compression head on the 810-19 R5GTL engine (1289cc) had long-reach plugs - back in the day, R5GTL (there were at least 3 different engines) owners often used to end up with the wrong plugs!

Back