Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

How to insert ignition timing gear?

Jurjenz

Enthusiast
Hi guys,

Help! In what way do I need to insert this timing gear?

Thanks! Jurjen

• Ignition gear.JPG
    Ignition gear.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 26
I assume that you're setting your timing?
The timing mark on your flywheel should be lined up with the marker as in your photo.

Timing is usually set with the number 1 piston at the top of it's cycle, BUT at this time both number 1 and number 4 pistons will be at the top of their cycle, so be careful here because your timing has to be set only for number 1 piston.

Number 1 cylinder should be in the firing position and to test this have a look at the exhaust valve on number 4 cylinder (number 7 valve). This should just be about to open.

A bit confusing but search on this forum for "engine animation" which I put up about a year ago.
http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/4-stroke-animation.7824/

With that done, put some grease on the little gear and stick it to the bottom of the distributor.

Line up the dizzy cap so number 1 lead faces approximately to the front right hand side wheel.

Then just put the dizzy with the gear attached into the hole.

There is no correct position for this little gear, it can fit into any position.

A long story but I hope it helps. Just ask if you need more info

If you don't line it up correctly it will be difficult to set timing correctly and/or remove centre 2 spark plugs especially with larger distributor

The "officially correct" position for the distributor drive is when, with the #1 cylinder at TDC and firing, the slot is at 90 degrees to the crankshaft and offset towards the timing chain end of the engine. It does not really matter, but it will put the vacuum advance unit away from the cylinder head, so you can conveniently turn the distributor either direction in order to set the timing.

Edit: I noticed that you are working on a 845 engine, in which case the slot should be at 60 degrees angle in relationship to the crankshaft, and offset towards the timing chain end.

I think this is the correct position then? :dontknow:

• Dizzy gear.JPG
    Dizzy gear.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 16
Yes I followed Angel to get mine set up too. By the way if you take the oild filler cap off the rocker box cover its possible to see the No1 cylinder valves moving- Its then possible to quickly establish the compression stroke and henceforth the correct orientation of the distributor

Back