Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

idle control valve

kenjonesmpa

My 1999 2000 auto espace started to rev high, the local garage said that the idle control valve was possibly at fault but this was £200 plus tax plus fitting. I decided to live with this problem. Afer a while, I decided to try and get the car to rev lower and done this by altering the position of a clip just before the cable enters the valve. Result is that the revs dropped but have noticed that teh 'kickdown' does not function so I have to use the gear selector to change gears if I want to accellerate fast. Anyone know of a non franchised renault garage in teh sidcup area who could sort this please

Thanks

I think I can see what's happened. I'm not at all familiar with the system on the newer Renaults. On old cars the kick-down switch was literally a switch that the throttle pedal knocked into when it was fully down.

In fact the cars I'm thinking of aren't all that old. Maybe it's worth checking your carpet hasn't come adrift.

If this happened when you adjusted that clip then I'd guess the kick down switch is inside the idle control assembly. If it was me I'd take the thing apart and try to frig it (lots of little springs would be sure to pop out). Otherwise you are probably stuck with the modern car "replace parts at great expense" thing.

:clementi:

Back