Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Ignition coil installation-1986 GTL

sshermand

Enthusiast
Hi ya,
a technical question for you more mechcanically- minded. My ignition coil was cracked, so I bought an original part from Renault-not all badly price.Anyway, the new coil has a terminal for the earth ring-tag and a self tapping screw, but the red wire connection hasn't got one-just two metal points to accommodate those sliding clips (?) What should i do since my red wire has the ring -tag ? Am i supposed to strip the ring-tag off and put two clips on the wire to slide onto the two metal prongs ? (by the way is it possible to remove the spark plugs with disturbing any part of the engine ?) Cheers for any guidance

I would expect the sliding clip terminals are fastened to the coil by a nut. Undo that and you'll be able to fit the ring terminal.

But if there is no nut then you should be able to return the coil to Renault and buy any non-ballasted coil from your local car spares shop. Alternatively a car spares shop should sell a crimp on connector to suit your new coil. (They are called spade connectors).

Back