Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

ignition coil resistor

petak

Enthusiast
Hello to all!

Read few topics that consider starting, timing, coil and all other parts but could not find answer to my question.
So that is why i opened new thread

Was away for some time!
Had busy period.
But car is in position to start the engine.
Tried yesterday but no luck.

starter is turning engine but no run.

Tied to find where problem lies and run at problem.

Do not have spark from ignition coil.

Wires to and from coil are connected correctly.
Wire from ignition switch (key) to +, from - on coil to dizzy

Coil is getting very hot. Is that normal?
Reading other threads concluded that it is something what should happened but could not find confirmation of that conclusion.

Also measured resistor on primary and secondary coil.

Primary coil (connecting + and - on coil) give me 3 ohms. That should be right?

Secondary coil (connecting + (or -) with outlet for dizzy cap) give me 10000 ohm. In one book for maintaining R4 (something like haines but from years back while it was still Yugoslavia) i have found that secondary coil should have resistor from 5600 to 6200 ohms. Mine is much bigger but i think that it is even better. Is that conclusion correct?

I do not have other coil to test it, and would like to avoid buying new one before i am sure this one is broken.

Does any one have info how big resistor should be on secondary coil?

Thank you for reading!

P.S. Building updates in other thread shortly!

Have you tried the coil by touching its negative to ground ? THere should be a spark when you do that. - if it works i would check the breaker points.
Coil can get very hot after some ( long ) time with ignition turned on.

Di d not tried that chudson...will do this afternoon.

And ignition was on for quite some time.

Thank you

Chudson...there was spark when i have tried what you suggested.

At the end problem was in old HT leads. They looked alright but did not send electricity thru.

Changed leads, and everything worked fine.

Some more tune up and car started. First time in 5 years since begun to renew it.

Have smile from ear to ear

Also measured resistor on primary and secondary coil.

Primary coil (connecting + and - on coil) give me 3 ohms. That should be right?

Secondary coil (connecting + (or -) with outlet for dizzy cap) give me 10000 ohm. In one book for maintaining R4 (something like haines but from years back while it was still Yugoslavia) i have found that secondary coil should have resistor from 5600 to 6200 ohms. Mine is much bigger but i think that it is even better. Is that conclusion correct?

I do not have other coil to test it, and would like to avoid buying new one before i am sure this one is broken.

Does any one have info how big resistor should be on secondary coil?

Hello Petak,

I recently measured the resistance of the coil in our Slovenian-built GTL. The resistance of the primary coil was 3.2 ohms. The resistance of the secondary coil was 5600 ohms.

Today I did this test, but with different results.
I have a problem or I choosed a wrong scale?

IMG_20211008_135814.jpg

IMG_20211008_135921.jpg

I can't quite see from you photos, but are you trying to measure the resistance of the primary coil or the secondary coil?

I measure here

IMG_20211008_203850.jpg

What you mean of primary and second coil?

Yes, so 3 Ω for the resistance of the primary coil and 9.58 kΩ for the secondary coil sounds about right.

Reactions: DAA
What a noob, just now I seeel kΩ..

This values are the normal of a coil!

Back