Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Info on fuel consumption

joao44289

Enthusiast
Hello everyone. I am a very proud owner of an R1123 for '79. I adore the car but I feel like it's spending too much fuel. I don't use it as often as I would like to because after a few trips I have to refuel it and I simply can't afford to refuel it that often. I've been trying to find info on this specific model fuel consumption but I haven't had much luck. So I am asking if anyone has information that might help me find out if the car really is spending too much fuel. It's a 845cc engine.

Hi Joao
The 'Revue Technique Automobile' (RTA) gives the following figures for the R1123:

From Sept 1978: 6.3 L/100km (44.84 mpg) at 90 kph; 8.4 L/100km (33.63mpg) urban cycle.

(From May to September 1978, the figures were 6.5 and 8.3).

I had a 78 TL years ago; I remember it as being very economical!

I have had R1123s for many years and (living in a rural area) I would generally reckon to get at least 40 m.p.g. out of them (about 7L/100Km) with greater economy on a long run. What is your car consuming?

I think our 1985 845 cc is very economical. I think we are in the 50mpg region on our trips to an from England. That was 750 miles at 60 mph. Only gripe would be the small tank, which means a lot of filling up.

The 845 is not as economical as the 1108 GTL but it still can do 6lt/100km without too much effort. Anything over 7 lt/100km with reasonable driving should make you start thinking if something is going wrong.

Mine is doing between 16 and 18 km/l on octane 95 and 18-19,5 on 100. Standard R4 TL 845 with 32mm Zenith.
A bit lower now with a larger exhaust though

I think our 1985 845 cc is very economical. I think we are in the 50mpg region on our trips to an from England. That was 750 miles at 60 mph. Only gripe would be the small tank, which means a lot of filling up.
I think mine is doing much more than that. I filed it up to a half tank, after 50 km it was already pretty close to the 0 mark.

I have had R1123s for many years and (living in a rural area) I would generally reckon to get at least 40 m.p.g. out of them (about 7L/100Km) with greater economy on a long run. What is your car consuming?
I'm not sure yet. As I said in my previous comment I think it's doing much more than it should.

If you can smell petrol when it is running (or when it is parked) then you could have a leak which may explain the excessive consumption. Also look for wet hoses and wet at the bottom of the fuel tank. I had an Alfa Romeo that hosed the engine down with petrol as I was driving :o

If you can smell petrol when it is running (or when it is parked) then you could have a leak which may explain the excessive consumption. Also look for wet hoses and wet at the bottom of the fuel tank. I had an Alfa Romeo that hosed the engine down with petrol as I was driving :o
It does smell like gas. Near the exhaust it smells a lot like gas while it's running. But I don't see any visible leaks under and outside the hood. Where could the leak be?

It could be a loose rubber hose or one with a hole in the side, or the carburettor could be overflowing if the smell is at the front of the car, not the rear. The carburettor float valve can fail so that petrol gets too high in the carb.

Feel around the hoses and the carb until you find a damp patch, or one that makes your fingers smell of petrol. Check around the fuel pump on the side of the engine too.

It could be a loose rubber hose or one with a hole in the side, or the carburettor could be overflowing if the smell is at the front of the car, not the rear. The carburettor float valve can fail so that petrol gets too high in the carb.

Feel around the hoses and the carb until you find a damp patch, or one that makes your fingers smell of petrol. Check around the fuel pump on the side of the engine too.
I figured out what was wrong. It wasn't any leak. The air intake in the Carburetor was slightly closed due to a rotten cable and my dad had set it to put too much fuel in the engine. It's running much smoother now and spending way less fuel. I can now drive it without going bankrupt.

The 845cc should really be frugal and run like a very rough sewing machine :D

Back