Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Insurance

Beige Belgian

Enthusiast
Hi, just changed insurance providers again, seem to do this every year as the existing ones always seem to hike the price up. Now with CIS, was with Post Office and before that Endsleigh. £150 fully comp (cheaper than 3rd party!), which isn't bad for a left hooker parked on the street in London. The question I have though is the value is the agreed market value. I asked how they calculate this as the R4 won't be in the guide books. Has anyone had the misfortune of having to claim and how was the value calculated? Prices on here or ebay are the best (only?) guides I would say, but do they know that?

Matt

It'll be difficult for them to find prices, and insurance companies tend to be poor at distinguishing from a rusty one and a decent one when working out the price.

If the worst came to the worst the authority on prices would likely be an owners club, and I'm sure it would be possible to persuade the R4 registrar (Derek) to write a letter to the insurers.

Oh and watch out with CIS, I was with them for years until they changed their terms and conditions.

You are now specifically NOT allowed to drive any other car with 3rd party cover like we used to be able to do in the old days!

In the old days I'd get fully comprehensive cover and then be able to drive my fathers car with his permission (to service it etc) on third party cover on my policy, that is NOT allowed by certain companies any more so be very careful.

Hope that helps

Richard

And another thing......

I have also noticed that motor vehicle insurance companies are also quietly increasing voluntary excess rates and increasing their profitability by discouraging policy holders from making smaller claims. Small awkward supermarket parking bays and careless positioning are causing lots of 'dings & scrapes', often unnoticed. Are we becoming a nation of tailgating red light jumpers or are these just Tyneside/Geordie sports? :shock: The slender 4 is a doddle to park/rapidly abandon in cramped spaces. ;)

Back