Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Insurance

SteveW

Enthusiast
Evening all

Would appreciate some feedback on the insurance company most in tune with R4s. I'm currently insuring my '86 GTL with DirectLine (who are excellent with a more conventional car) and there are one or two small concerns creeping in to my head. For example, there is a stone chip in the windscreen which, according to Autoglass (who do all DirectLine's glass repairs) can't be fixed and the widscreen is obsolete - end of story. Would this extend to all accident repairs with DirectLine and would they just write it off rather than expend a bit more effort tracking down parts? I don't know, but I'd rather not put it to the test.

So, it might be time to switch to a more sympathetic insurer - any ideas?

Any thoughts/guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

My GTL was with Direct Line. It was an every day car policy with business use etc. If you don't use the car as an everyday car try one of the classic places. My Gordini is insured with Haggerty.

The advantage of a classic policy is you have agreed value. With the modern car policy you have to argue about the value of the car if it gets smashed (the assessor might say he's seen one on eBay for £500).

I'm surprised Autoglass can't be bothered with the windscreen - they replaced the Gordini windscreen in the summer. There are recent threads about windscreens (forum search) but no bother to get one made. Most insurers (even classic ones) use Autoglass.

Thanks Malcolm - will give Hagerty a call. In the mean time I think I've found someone who can replace the windscreen - just takes a bit of initiative (from the windscreen company)!

Back