Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Jacques Tati Trafic

Beige Belgian

Enthusiast
Hi,

Has anybody seen the film 'Trafic' by Jacques Tati? I understand it features Renault 4's.

I am keen on seeing the film but the only copies I can find on DVD, don't have English subtitles. As I only really know English, would I still enjoy and understand the film, or should I try and find or wait until an English subtitled version is available?

Yes, I've seen it twice - first when it came to the cinema in about 1971 and again when Channel 4 first came on the air. Nobody has screened it since. I once tried to get it on video but without success. I believe there are two versions - one of them is the 'full' version. I did not know it was on DVD so I'll get a copy as fast as I can.

Are you familiar with Jacques Tati films??? If not, then don't worry as there is very little dialogue in them. The humour is all in the acting so there's no need for subtitles. I believe it was his last film before he died, but I could be wrong. I remember sitting in the cinema with tears in my eyes as it was the most funniest film I had seen at the time. I then made sure that I would video tape all his fims as they came on TV. Once you've seen 'Trafic' you'll want to see more of his stuff.

Just let me know where to get the DVD

Steve

Resurrecting an old thread, after seeing in another post an odd Renault 4 that had been in a film coming up in auction, I was curious about the 'Camping Car' in Trafic. Anyone know if this brilliant car with its great extras still exists?

Oh, and if you have not seen Trafic, you should, its a good silly film staring a Renault 4. Copies always on ebay and Amazon.

I had downloaded it some time ago from somewhere I don't remember. It should ot be that hard anyway.
I enjoy watching this film, and I agree with Steve, no subtitles needed!

It's very interesting to know that the "star" Fourgonette still exists. I don't think it's impossible, we have seen odd R4s like the Bertin shortened one, the "4 Elle" R4, almost pre-production R3s and R4s etc. that have been "discovered" during the last two years or so. After all, a lot of work must had been put on this Fourgon, and it should had been a shame to scrap it.

Here Here

I agree, subtitles are not needed, and it was a great movie albeit very different to the standard carry on and Norman Wisdom in the contemporary genre. The barbecue was a personal favourite!!

Back