Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Legal License Plate sizes for Renault 4TL newly registered in the UK

ryanrenault4gtl

Enthusiast
Good Afternoon all!

After having brought back my Spanish Renault 4 and today successfully completed the registering process with the DVLA, I now need to get new plates for the car.

I wanted to check before going to a shop to get the plates made, if there was a legal and correct size for the plates, especially the rear.

Does anyone happen to have the correct dimensions of the plates which I will need? I will probably order plastic ones and drill small allen key bolts to make any future change or removal easy. The Spanish plates on the car were riveted on and prefer not to have that done again.
Very grateful for any replies or help,

Merry Christmas everyone!

Well.... I am in the same position. But, when we can, I am going to a place in France and getting the UK registration put onto a french plate, which fits the space on the rear hatch. My car is 48 years old, so a classic plate is OK, so a white plate with black letters was the original french way. I may do it the other way round, white on black , we shall see.

There are plate makers on the net who can do all sorts, not too expensive

There are many websites which do it cheaply, but I want to make sure that the size is legal and correct for the rear of the R4. Do you happen to know dimensions?

Regards

Ryan

There is a specific font or typeface that must be used on number plates fitted to United Kingdom registered vehicles, but this only applies to cars built after a certain date (I can't remember, after several mince pies and glasses of mulled wine, what it is!) and any vehicle first registered before this date must be fitted with plates appropriate the age of registration; this varies, depending on how old the vehicle is. The M.O.T. tester's manual will probably explain this more clearly, but I'm at home now, so don't have it to hand! No doubt advice on this may be obtained from numerous companies selling plates.

Back