Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

LHD to RHD Conversion?

bazzer25

Enthusiast
Hi All, am new to this forum but have often looked at it for info in the past, I love R4s and have owned a few and would idealy one day like to find a nice van to restore preferably pre F6? Anyway I digress, my question for the moment is ' How easy is it to convert a R4 from LHD to RHD?'

It shouldn't be a difficult conversion, though you'll need to have all the bits which will tend to mean access to a RHD car and a spanner. I've not tried it myself yet. It's more hassle than just living with LHD for me.

Dash, wiring loom, steering rack (potentially steering column too), pedals are the things that spring to mind. A tiny bit of welding and making a hole for the steering column on the wrong side would also be needed.

If you want a nice car it does make a lot of sense to buy a really good French car and convert it - that would cut years out of the restoration process.

Also welcome :hug:

I have driven a LHD R4 for several years and have never come across a problem. The only hassle is entering multi-storey car parks and toll roads, etc.

I think insurance companies penalise you for LHD, but then if you convert it, the car will be modified.

I would never consider converting mine

Its funny you should be thinking of an F4 conversion from a Frenchie, because its just what I am undertaking. However, in reality I am just switching a french van body onto a donor rt hand saloon. To be honest I was a little rushed in getting a van. I would avoid North France, because, even though its from France, the van chassis isn't in as good a condition as the saloon ( I was lucky there). The donor gives you all the bits you need, the important thing is to ensure the a good body and a good chassis to start with. The other advantage has been an increase in engine size, although the original engine, 849cc, was extremely nippy, but it was not under "load".
There are some minor modifications we will have to do to the van body, such as a new hole for the steering shaft, and decide whether or not to fit the van handbrake, or the saloon version. It would also be nice to have the rear door hinged on the right, rather than the left, so it opens onto the pavement, but that looks a little too difficult. The finished van has to go back to work to earn its keep. At present I am trying to get my sandblaster going to remove three coats of paint. It was originally mid blue, then it joined the army and became completely olive green inside and out, then on de-mob somebody has given it a coat of cream paint, possibly Dulux.

We drive a LHD R4 in the UK, and as Richard says, the main difficulties are toll roads/car parks where you need to get a ticket (oh for a leather bench seat!). Also, overtaking is more difficult. Ideally you need a 'spotter' for overtaking and a 'payment operative' for car parks to sit in the 'passenger' seat (that person is usually me ;) )

Insurance seems cheap, considering it's a LHD. Insurance companies don't seem bothered by it.

Good luck with your paint-stripping Tim!

I had a LHD drive R4 for a couple of years before buying another R4 this year which was RHD. I was totally happy with the LHD car but the RHD car was in better nick and I didn't need two R4s. Changing the insurance cost me £25 with no discount for the car being RHD. I found being on the left better in some ways, gearchange for example (assuming your right handed)! I've still got another LHD car and enjoy driving that. I would not bother converting one, if you really want RHD buy one like that, if you get LHD you'll quickly get used to it. Good luck.

If you're left handed it may take time to get used to changing gear in a LHD car, when we bought ours here I reckon it took 6 months before I could get the car into reverse using only one hand - or perhaps I'm just a feeble left handed old codger!

Back