Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Long Term Search For a New Body Shell

nicky4tl

Enthusiast
Ok,
Hi all. So my tl has been scattered across my mothers garage floor for about two years. I now reckon its time to make an effort at reassembly. Unfortunately I have a feeling that a replacement body shell might be a better option to trying to fix the existing one, (i cant weld and its gone at he base of the pillars, the rear corners, the front triangally bits, the rear seatbelt mounts, the top roof corner and the front and back of the sills!).
More bad news. Im in Ireland.

I just thought I'd ask if anyone might know of a rust free renault 4 body shell in Ireland or else near Holyhead or Pembroke that I could try and sort out on to the ferry? Im not in a huge rush but thought Id start the search now before said mother insists on said renault vacating said garage.

All the best
Nick

A couple of the spares cars posted on eBay UK recently for not much money have looked like they have promising shells. 1985 or '86 would be the ones to look for as rustproofing was better on them. Trailering would be pricy.

Or a trip to France maybe? Some lovely shells over there still attached to spares cars. Buy a driver and it's a plane ticket, ferry ticket and insurance to get it home.

yep. I think something in the uk is probably the cheapest. My thinking is it is probably cheaper to buy and transport a good body attached to a dodgy chassis than to attempt a repair including respray of my current shell.
I dont really have time to go to france (unfortunately) and a driving car tends to be a bit too expensive. so I am hoping to find something perhaps recommended by a member here and arrange delivery onto the ferry.

If anyone had any experience with a car transporter that they might recommend I'd be interested in hearing too.

this one does look promising but Ill not be able to get over to have a look at it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140320199134&rvr_id=

If anyone here did get a look at it and could report back I'd love to hear from them. Its the right colour too.

ok
got to get off this forum and do some work

wow. I just got a quote for pickup of a car from anywhere in the UK and delivery to Dublin for €200!
Just have to find a car now :)

Back