Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Looking for engine information

LeBlanc

Enthusiast
Hello,

I'm looking for more information on the engine that was in the 1969 R4 that I bought recently, and am restoring now. The engine that was in had a type plate reading "B1BS070" and "RH2096".
On a french forum I found an overview of the R4 engines, but this one isn't in there. There is however an B1BS707, so I guess is a type error ? That would be a 1984 onward egine, so not the original :(
Attached I put some pictures, maybe someone could shed some light on the exact type of the engine, and the car it should have been put into.
I've bought recently a 1967 engine, which is a bit lower in power, but an checking it's health to see if it would live nicely in the '69er..
Thanks for the advice !

2674422737_8f445fe755.jpg

2675240878_6d7e7350e0.jpg

You are right the B1B a very late (84-86) 845cc engine. It should have a Zenith 32IF7 carburettor (it is not visible on the photos), combined with the vacuum advance distributor this setup makes a very sweet and torquey 845.
Amazingly enough they kept the correct for '69 334 gearbox and metal four blade fan!

Thanks Angel for the info..

I think I will keep this engine in the car, although it's not really the original one, but when one turns up one day, it's not so much work to swap it I guess.
I've got no idea about the km's (or miles) on the engine, so not sure about the state it's in.
I did a compression test on the 4 cylinders and got measurements between 8.5 and 9.5 kg/cm2, or 120 to 135 psi. Is this a normal tolerance or should I get the pistons overhauled ?

They seem good, although I have never seen any published compression pressures for the small engines (by the way, has anybody any info on this?).
The pistons/rings/cylinder liners on these engines are very long lasting, so I bet they will be fine (especially for such late production engine).
Try to make a leakdown test too, it can be more helpful than a compression test.

Back