Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Metal front window frames.

edwin

Enthusiast
Hi All. As you know I have a 1972 782cc basic car with metal windows to the front doors. They are in very good condition and I have the new runner channel for the glass. All the screws for the metal frame came out save three on the bottom, which have rusted heads. Is there a technique for getting them out. I was considering cutting a groove in the top with a Dremel type modellers drill, and then trying a flat screwdriver. But those who have been here before may have a clever trick to get them out.
What did you replace them with? Thanks Edwin

Hi Edwin
I drilled mine. Once the head has come off so that the frame can be removed it leaves a bit more of the screw that you can get mole grips or pliers onto. There is the risk that you cannot get a grip and are left with a blocked up hole but this didn't happen to me. I imagine some very careful drilling would remove the remainder. I have just bought some no.4 x 10mm stainless self tappers from Kayfast but not tried them yet. Hope this helps a little.

Hi dg, thank you for that. It helps a lot. I will try that. Will let you know how I get on. Does the fixed glass come out with the frame? Or when I get those clips out that hold the runner, the glass will then pull out. Do not want to damage the very thin metal frame in any way.

Tried the drill out, but as you said, hardened screws and was getting nowhere. So added a bit of WD40, waited a day, and tried the dremel and a mini disc, cut the slot, used a flat head screwdriver and it worked. Everything came away, its all in great condition except for the screws and immediate surrounds which I can now treat and paint. I got some matching screws from a boat business, in good quality marine SS. I can now reassemble as required. Thank you for your counsel.

Last edited:
Back