Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

MIG Welding Forum

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
I've launched a mig welding forum!
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php

The problem with new forums is nobody ever wants to be the first to post. If any of you guys would join up and make a couple of posts to help me start it off I would be very grateful.

In particular - anyone know anything about TIG welders or generally welding aluminium? I'm tempted to buy a TIG welder and am seeking advice.

:clementi:

I'll mention it to David over on retro ren, hes doing lots of welding these days I beleive!

Hello I'm a newbie, chris h pointed me this way, I'm following him a round :lol: , I've been doing a C&G mig welding course at night school this year as I have had welding to do and I am to tight to pay for it to be done :lol: . you can mig weld ally you need the right gas and you'll need a roll of ally wire so I would use a mig welder it is easier than tig welding and you won't need to seperate machines if you need to do sheet metal welding.

Hi David, thanks for coming along, and thanks Chris for passing on the word.

Have you had a chance to try aluminium welding with MIG? I'd heard it is possible with argon gas and ally wire as long as the surface is really clean on both sides. It would certainly be cheaper to buy some wire and a couple of argon cans from Halfords and give it a go on some scrap aluminium than it would be to buy an ac tig welder.

Also - forgive my ignorance here - mig welders must be ac rather than dc right? It's said that dc tig welders are no good for aluminium, so I'm guessing mig welders must be ac.

not sure about the ac/dc bit :? but the difference is with a mig welder you set the machine to current and speed of wire feed where as with tig you hold the wire as you would if you were brasing and you have an electric flame two very different techniquies. yes it is possible to mig weld ally as long as you use the correct wire and sheilding gas.

ps get your self a decent mask not one of these hand held jobbies

Dave

with TIG welders you get an ac wave balance control on them. A lot are switchable between ac and dc.

I was under the impression that MIG's were DC though

I think they must be DC. It just seems odd that you can weld aluminium with a DC mig but not with DC tig. Still, whatever the case you can certainly buy argon gas and aluminium wire for mig so it must be worth giving it a go.

I can't be doing with those hand held masks - I like to hold the torch with both hands while welding. Mind you, they can be handy for tight spots where there isn't enough room to swing open the full face mask.

you can get ally wire form any were and argon gas as well. I have solar powered mask got it from screw fix I know its cheating but it makes like so much easier when welding. set your weld up flip your mask down then 1000th sec later its dark no prob's with arc eye there. once you've had some practice find yourself a decent local supplier of welding supplies then set your self up with and account for gas works out at about £90 rental a year for the bottle and about £20 for a refill but that bottle is 1/2 size so it'll last you a long time. also get a decent welder not a halfords job buy a clark or murex one they cost more but they will last a long time probably a life time. :wink: cheers dave

I am also a newbie in welding. Can anyone explain the difference between TIG and MIG welding? Why is one better than the other?

Back