Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Model designation

kevinandkate

Sadly no longer an owner
Anyone know how to identify the model designation, I keep hearing about TL GTL and mine just says L and 4CV on the Carte Gris (Log book). I suppose this probably means its an L rather than TL etc but I dont know whether it being an 88 model year car makes any difference. Im assuming the 4CV bit means its the 800 cc one working on the principal that the Citroen 2CV is actually a 3CV and 603 cc therefore maybe its about 200 cc per CV!!!. You would't think I used to be a mechanic!!! many moons ago. Sorry for the apparent stupid questions.

Hello, what you need to do is look at the 'oval plate' or 'diamond plate' in the engine compartment. Look for a code like R1123 for example. There are explanations of which code matches which engine etc. on this page:

http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=704

See also: http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1365&highlight=oval+plate

There should also be an engine code stamped on to the engine or a strip of metal near the oil filter:

http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1090&highlight=engine+type
http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1432&highlight=engine+type

Hope that helps?

We'd love to see a picture of this car when you get it. Does it have the plastic strips on the sides? I would think it would be a GTL if it belonged to M. le Maire. Or does it say Clan or Savanne?

Models

Hi all

It hasnt arrived yet so cant have a look at the plate. On the carte gris the only number starts witha VF then a 15 digit number then CI. As to plastic strips on the side I dont think it had and there were certainly no Savanna, Clan or other badges. The seats are covered in a cloth material rather than vinyl. Was there just an L model, everyone I speak to who is French refers to it as a Quatrelle which I assumed to be the French 4 elongated into the L to make a word. I dont know if this is just a general description of all 4s. By the was, the French have a type of car that can be driven without a licence and is made of plastic and has a 2 cylinder diesel engine limited to about 40 kph. The French refer to it as a boite de sardine or sardine can. Strange thing is, in my youth, thats what I called the Renault 4. Will go and wash my mouth out with soap now.

On our carte grises the 4 numbers/letters after VF1 in section (E) are the R number for the renault 4s. In Claude the vans case VF1239B******
The same number should be the first 4 numbers/letters of section (D.2) again in Claude's case 239B00.

There were all sorts of models. Early on the fancy ones were called "export" and it was impossible for those across the channel to buy the standard model which was called the 4L.

The Renault 4 started off with the 4L (4L - Quatrelle. Also a pun in French for 4 wings but I've never understood why it's relevant). From there every other variant has been referred to as a Quatrelle even if they were fancy TL or GTL versions.

Still no help to work out which one you have, but the simple versions were often nicer to drive than the fancy ones.

Well in that case the number is 112c which doesnt seem to help according the previous posted lists.

Ah yes it does its a 956 cc so should be able to pull a caravan, or maybe not. Can hardly wait for its arrival here. Thanks for all the help.

Yes, the French seem to call all (car) R4s 'quatrelles', even the TL and GTL versions. I once went in to a tiny Renault garage in France (not driving a R4 though) and asked for a part for "une Renault quatre" but they were not sure what I meant. Then, coincidently, a R4 pulled in. I pointed to it and they said "ah, une quatrelle!" (They didn't have the part I was looking for though.)

The little 2 cylinder diesels referred to earlier in the thread are also known as 'papymobiles', more correctly as 'sans permis' - no driving licence required.
Some were actually made by Ligier, who also made GP cars. The original ones had 50 cc moped engines, really quick!!!!:). Beleive it or not there was one model powered by a Velosolex engine, with friction drive to one of the rear wheels - the Velosolex moped would only do about 20 mph flat out!

Back