Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

model numbers.

edwin

Enthusiast
Evening all. The business of the model number intrigues me because I see reference to the numbers, Ronnie the Renault is a model 1123, but I can find no explanation about what a 1120 or a 1123 etc means . Is anyone able to explain, or tell me where I can get more info on what all the numbers on the various plates mean. Thanks in breathless anticipation. Edwin

Thanks for that. I have had a look at the list but can't correlate it to my car.IMG_1196.jpgView attachment 22129 These are the plates on my car. Can you interpret them for me please.

• IMG_1195.jpg
    IMG_1195.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 4
Oval Plate : "R1123" means 845cc. Don't know the significance of "02" if any.
J 03 etc. is the individual vehicle number. R1123s got up to about two and a half million (numbered sequentially) and then a new sequence began in 1985 starting with J 000001 or G 000001. By 1986 they had got up to J043166 so that confirms that yours is 1985.
The "000" at the bottom is mysterious. On mine (whose J number is only a few numbers away from yours) the bottom line reads "355" which is the paint code.
Square plate : the number beginning "F" is the chassis number. You'll find this (plus the top line) stamped on the upper surface right-hand front door sill. The other figures are permitted train weights with and without trailer. Don't know about "Version A" : probably something to do with the design of the plate itself.
The important numbers for ordering spare parts are the J number and the full chassis number.

Back