Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Mongol Rally with the Ranault 4

waterkress

Enthusiast
My team and I have been fortunate enough to get a place on the highly competitive forthcoming Mongol Rally (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_Rally) a charity car race from Hyde Park in London to Ulan Bator in Mongolia. This highly prestigious race is currently in its third year and is rapidly gaining high publicity. Each team must use a vehicle that is under 1000cc and make the journey without a support group. So I obviously decided to use the only car suitable for the challenge the Renault 4. I wanted to ask you other Renault 4 enthusiasts about your thoughts on whether this little beauty of a car would be capable of taking on this challenge. It would be about an 8000-10000mile journey over a period of 3-4 weeks.
I'd appreciate any help and advice you guys/girls can offer. I have also thought about turning my little car into a convertible? Any thoughts?

That sounds like a lot of fun. A couple of us on the forum are thinking about doing our own trip down to Africa at some point maybe next year.

I guess you have an 850cc Renault 4? The 1108cc ones are much better for long trips (faster, more torque and higher gearing). The distance shouldn't be a problem for either car - they are very reliable and comfortable.

I've been on a 3000 mile trip in an 850, and 4000 miles in a 1108, both over about 3 weeks. 10,000 in 3 weeks would be a heck of a lot of time driving.

How long have you owned the R4? Worth driving it around as an every day car to iron out the bugs, and a new MOT could be sensible - ask the tester to point out anything that he thinks won't last. Good to have a second opinion.

Thanks Malcom I needed a little bit of help from someone who has already done something similar. Your right it is an 850cc any more and the organisers wouldnt allow it due to the engine displacement restriction. Good advice too, I will definately get the car properly checked out prior to the trip, I was also thinkin of strengthening the chasis.
Through Africa? Wow for many years I lived in Tanzania, those roads can get pretty rocky.

Probably not much point strengthening the chassis - they don't tend to fall apart (unless they are really rusty). For rough roads you'll want a set of gas pressurised rear dampers - a lot of aftermarket ones aren't gas pressurised and will lose all their damping very quickly on rough roads.

Trying to think of what spares I'd take. It's the odd things that go wrong so tricky to second guess. Spare dizzy with cap and points, leads and plugs would be sensible. Set of dampers if you are feeling flush. Air filter maybe if you are on dusty roads (proper rough dusty road spec cars had a cyclone arrangement to get rid of the dust). Anyone else have any thoughts?

dont forget i have got a heavy duty gearbox guard available ,might be useful :) will dig it out if you like( as fitted to poor road versions)

maybe same as claude van rouge has got fitted ?

Thanks Mr-reno. That could be a great addition. The car is currently in Guernsey and has just been checkout by a mechanic. Verdict - absolutley tip top condition perfect for the 8-10k miles to Mongolia. I have set up a website if anyone is interested in the developments www.optimisticfools.co.uk. I havent actually got a photo of the car yet but once I have I will update all details of the little wonder.

The car sounds promising. Do keep us up to date with the prep and the actual rally when it happens - it all sounds like great fun.

Hi Malcolm what are your thoughts on how easy it is to replace rubber brake lines and the distributor cap on a Renault 4? My team mate is planning to do it himself and any tips you can give would be much appreciated.

Also I wanted to ask whether you would be interested in sponsoring us in some way in exchange for us advertising your site on our two websites, the car, press releases and a series of articles I am writing for an american travel magazine?

All of the brakelines are easy enough to replace. The rubber ones tend to need replacing if you can see cracks when you bend them tightly, or if the fittings are rusty. Don't forget about the metal brake pipes - there probably aren't any steel pipes left on your car, but if there are replace them - they rust through! Original steel fuel pipes could cause you trouble too.

There is no income for this site (well no profit - it does break even) - it's just a place for Renault folk to get together, so slim chance of sponsorship :D.

hi waterkress will dig out gearbox guard soon when do you need it ? bit heavy to post but can get it couriered ,unless you are passing sussex somewhen my contact number is on my profile
paul

Back