Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

MOT exemption

Tomcat

Enthusiast
If one purchases a vehicle that is MOT and tax exempt.
Put it in for an MOT and it fails does that invalidate your insurance?
Have some thought at the back of my 'old gaffer' mind that it could do in UK?

Thoughts, comments please. Thanks

I should think your insurance people would love you to have a safe car on the road, and you know what insurance people are like when it comes to claims etc, , + police , eg driving a vehicle on the road knowing you have defects , 3 points + fine . mot peace of mind . hope this helps . mike;)

Pretty sure under the new laws exempted vehicles if driven ( and your stopped) in an unroadworthy condition you are liable for a fine of up to £2500, by definition ‘ unroadworthy ‘ could and probably will, be used by the insurance companies as a get out clause to any claims and a reason to hike you premiums in the future.
For my own peace of mind even exempted, I would run through a voluntary MOT test for safety’s sake and just to make sure driving and being stopped doesn't include any hidden extras or losses.

Pretty sure under the new laws exempted vehicles if driven ( and your stopped) in an unroadworthy condition you are liable for a fine of up to £2500, by definition ‘ unroadworthy ‘ could and probably will, be used by the insurance companies as a get out clause to any claims and a reason to hike you premiums in the future.
For my own peace of mind even exempted, I would run through a voluntary MOT test for safety’s sake and just to make sure driving and being stopped doesn't include any hidden extras or losses.
My policy would always be to feel I had a roadworthy car. Having an MOT plus regular checks on major items would give me that certainty.
My point is if you have a MOT test, voluntary though it might be, and it fails does the vehicle go onto a database? My thought is your insurance becomes invalid till you have a MOT that passes? What about in the future if you do not do another MOT.
All very confusing.:doh:

My policy would always be to feel I had a roadworthy car. Having an MOT plus regular checks on major items would give me that certainty.
My point is if you have a MOT test, voluntary though it might be, and it fails does the vehicle go onto a database? My thought is your insurance becomes invalid till you have a MOT that passes? What about in the future if you do not do another MOT.
All very confusing.:doh:
you could always take it to a garage & ask them to do a roadworthy test, not an MOT but take a look over it, that way you will have peace of mind

It is the driver's responsibility that the car is roadworthy, both in the eyes of the law and as part of an insurance contract. Mot exemption (or having time left on the previous mot) has no bearing on that. Once a car has failed an mot, those failure-defects are on the system for all to see, (including any passing policeman). So, yes, if it's failed an mot, it is not legally roadworthy and by driving it you are in breach of your insurance contract, so you are not adequately insured, (so you're breaking that law as well).

So when a car fails its MOT (say, due to a blown fog lamp bulb), you may be breaking the law by driving it home from the test centre? Seems harsh, especially for test centres that are just that (i.e. not garages, but only carry out MOTs). Are you meant to tow your car away?

Also, just because this (hypothetical?) MOT-exempt car has it's failed it's MOT doesn't mean that the owner immediately rectified it before driving it away (and didn't re-test because it's MOT exempt).

It seems like insurers are in a very strong position to claim that vehicles aren't roadworthy even if they have MOTs.

Lots to think about!

you have 2 months here to fix things..& historic cars only need testing every 5 years..but police stop & check tyres, lights etc really frequently & you are fined if anything is not as it should.

only if it has a dangerous defect it is illegal to drive on uk roads:waving:xx only drive to a place where it can be fixed

I'll offer my 2 penneth worth on this one, as a (recently retired) M.O.T. tester. The rules were (and are, as far as I understand) that a car can be driven to a PRE-ARRANGED M.O.T. test appointment if it is "out of test", providing it is not in a dangerous condition. An example of this would be driving a car to a pre-arranged M.O.T., and discovering that it fails for a defective rear fog lamp. This is not a "dangerous" fail. In addition, the car must be taken by the shortest and most direct route; driving from my home in north London to a test centre in north London via Bristol would not be acceptable!

Once tested, there are 4 options: 1:Pass-no problems. 2: Pass with minor defects and advisories (things which might need looking at before the next test; say a tyre with minimum tread) 3: Fail with major faults noted, which may make the vehicle unroadworthy (defective fog lamp, headlight alignment incorrect etc.) and 4: Fail, with dangerous faults making the vehicle unroadworthy (rust less then 15cm from a stressed point of the vehicle frame being but one of dozens)

Defects (both major and dangerous) must be repaired before a test certificate can be issued. However (and this is the clever bit...) if you have your car tested in the calendar month before its expiry and it fails for a major (not a dangerous) fault you can still drive it until the expiry of the test, providing it's not unroadworthy, thus giving you more time to arrange the repair. That said if you take longer than 10 days or remove the car to another garage other then the testing one you'll pay for another test and leaving it at the same garage for repairs doesn't guarantee you a free re-test, as it depends on what it failed on. I was always generous with this. Failure for a dangerous fault means the car must not be used until it's fixed. My boss once threatened to call the Police when a customer said he was going to drive his car away to another garage for a 2nd opinion....

In summary, if your car, classic or otherwise, fails the M.O.T. for a dangerous fault it is deemed to be unwoadworthy and must be repaired immediately. If you rely on the classic car M.O.T. exemption two continue driving your car on the public highway and you have a crash or other accident, I would consider your insurance would be invalid, particularly if it were later discovered your car had failed the test on a dangerous fault.

On a personal note I would just add that I didn't agree with the exemption for classic cars and I don't know a tester who does. The introductory wording on the M.O.T. tester's manual (used to have) has this phrase:

"Any vehicle maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and service schedules should have no problem in passing the M.O.T. test, appropriate for the vehicle's age and design." This sums things up: look after your car as you should and your car will be O.K.!

Sorry to have gone on a bit, but I REALLY think this M.O.T. exemption for classic cars will come back to haunt those of us using, repairing and driving them!

Back