Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

My 1973 R5, date of manufacture?

Hannu

I have a similar request to the thread in the R4 section.

My oval plate is from my very early R5, first registered on 18 05 1973.

I am keen to find if it is a 1972 build (for tax reasons!) and have the following codes on the oval plate:

R1222

I have tried writing to Renault UK, who replied to my letter saying they could not help me.

I would appreciate tips on where to search for this information!

I believe build information is now available from Renault Classic ( was Histoire and collection) in Paris for a set fee.
I do not have the contact details but I will try and find out.

Hi there
Looking at your vehicle details I predict your car was manufactured in late February to mid March 1973. At this time, there were no dealer stock due to production numbers for the UK fell short of the demand for R5; showroom cars were already sold and waiting for the start of the month for RFL. Allowing for end of production, compounding at the factory, transportation to port, ferry journey to either Southampton or Goole, dispatch to dealership, PDI, and available for customer, the period appears right from my experience at the time. If it was a pea green R16TS, then you may have found unsold stock from 1972!!
So sorry I do not support this car being eligible for "Historic taxation"

Hi ,just completed engine change on re-assembly noticed the month and year printed on the underside of plate the air filter sits on.I gold lettering.

Back