Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

My carb is falling apart :(

Ivan

Enthusiast
Hello!

Here we go again :)!
The whole problem of engine running bad seems to be in my carb zenith 28 if. When car is in park position the fuel flow can be described as driping and I don't know what to do :roll: ?
Please instruct me on carb adjustments, can this be repaired, and where can I buy another carb... :?:
Is it possible to get a new one or used in good shape? where?

Thanks,

Ivan

Hi Ivan, you don't seem to be having much luck with your car at the moment.

The carb is really simple so it should be possible to repair, although I didn't completely understand your question - can you explain the problem in more detail? :D

Hi,

Yeah it gives me ot of trouble lately... :)

Now, what happens is that when car is running in place only in it's park position when i remove air filter I can see that from that litte tube inside tha carb the fuel i dripping (like from the pipe), it doesn't spray the fuel as it supposed to do. The strangest thing of all i when I shut down engine from that same tube fuel is still dripping. I don't know how can this be possible.

It's pretty complicated to explain however I belive you will get the picture now.

thanks,

Ivan

Ivan - it seems that the float needle valve is worn or has a piece of dirt in it causing it to stick. Buy a new one and also a top carb gasket. Do not forget to remove the brass bung holding the small gauze filter. Clean all this up before fitting the new needle valve. If possible, use compressed air. Let us know how you get on.

Steve

I had to take one apart to figure out it must be the float needle valve. I took a photo of the underneath of the carb top. The top comes off by undoing the air filter base then 5 screws on the top of the carburettor.

Do you have a fuel filter? If not then the problem is most likely to be dirt in the float valve (red arrow).

I had problems with dirt getting into my carburettor, and fitted a fuel filter between the fuel pump and carburettor (most R4s have this). I no longer have problems with dirt.

carb2_179.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks guys for helping me out.
Clementine thanks very much for taking that picture...
Now, I have cleaned the whole carb and I also used compressed air. But of course it didn't have the effect cause the problem remains.
However I have listened to your advice and decided to by needl valve an top gasket. BUT, it seems that here in Croatia that kind of part i hard to find. I have asked in several big car parts store but all I got was ?? what did you sad you need? :) Funny but irritating.
Now is there a possibility to buy that kind of part online or maybe you have more useful advice? :wink:

Thanks anyway

Ivan

Ivan, did you try a Renault dealer? He should have a picture of the parts you need on his computer and could order them if they are not in stock. Alternatively, go to http://www.carbex.demon.co.uk/ Contact them by email. He may have the parts you need and will take credit cards. They have always been able to help me out on everything I have needed. They are slow to reply to emails but you could send a fax or phone them.

Steve

It might be less effort to pick up a secondhand carburettor from a scrapyard - there must be plenty of R4s knocking around over there.

It might be less effort to pick up a secondhand carburettor from a scrapyard - there must be plenty of R4s knocking around over there

........with exactly the same problem that Ivan's carb has? I always reckon that some things are OK secondhand, but not carbs unless they have a known mileage.

Steve[/quote]

Ok thanks guys!

I appreciate you effort and I will probably buy a new carb or if I find maybe a low mileage carb.

Let you know when I do that!!

Ivan

I always find this pick up to be blocked, circled in black

carb2.jpg

Carb cleaner etc rarely clears is, I poke it through with a fine bit of wire etc.

This is what I imagine to be dripping from your carb. I would imagine that possibly when partially blocked it may siphon out the fuel bowl.

Its acceleration enrichment, I found when I first got the red 19 with the same carb this was totally blocked as were a few other things in the carb, clearing them out transformed the car.

Back