Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

my new toy (1975 845cc)

mr-reno-139

AKA Paul Cunningham
hope i have posted in right place as wouldnt want upset clementine any more :)
what shall i do with this lovely blue (blue seats as well) one owner renault 4 ?
33,000 miles has been in a garage since the previous owner passed away
last taxed 2001 runs and drives
unfortunatley the garage it was hiding in became overgrown with plantlife and it has eaten into the paintwork resulting in rust blisters on top paint surfaces
underneath has had floor areas plated but looks like some more attention is needed ns wing is perforated slightly
i havent got time or facilities for a full restoration but tempted to give it a go at getting it through an mot just to use it and get one more back on the road
may sell it if there is any interest

oh and a question i thought all 845 models had silencer under wing rather than mine which has got gtl type system

paul

• IMAG0029.jpg
    IMAG0029.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 384
  • IMAG0030.jpg
    IMAG0030.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 386
  • IMAG0031.jpg
    IMAG0031.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 379
  • IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 377
  • IMAG0033.jpg
    IMAG0033.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 374
  • IMAG0034.jpg
    IMAG0034.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 377
  • IMAG0036.jpg
    IMAG0036.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 377
  • IMAG0035.jpg
    IMAG0035.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 373
  • IMAG0037.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 379
  • IMAG0038.jpg
    IMAG0038.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 378
more pics (max is 10 i just found out )

sorry few more pics mainly the bad bits :(

• IMAG0040.jpg
    IMAG0040.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 367
  • IMAG0041.jpg
    IMAG0041.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 374
  • IMAG0042.jpg
    IMAG0042.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 367
  • IMAG0043.jpg
    IMAG0043.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 364
  • IMAG0044.jpg
    IMAG0044.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 371
  • IMAG0039.jpg
    IMAG0039.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 362
Very nice looking car! It is of roughly the same age as my white one but has less than 1/10th of the kilometers!!!
It has the early type instrument panel but with a voltmeter, and also "Renault 4TL" badge this means 1976 model year (late 75). The speedometer with the red km/h printing and the RHD-specific steering wheel are totally unknown to me!

Reminds me of Florence the 1976/77 R4. Your orange colour dots explain a mystery - they were white on Florence and I assumed they corresponded to the mph scale rather than the km/h scale. I never figured out why they got out of sequence (or what speed I was doing).

Botch and go is my thought. That worked on Florence for years. You can always do little bits and pieces better when you get time later on, and those mid '70s cars are lovely to drive around in the meantime.

Now if you need any ideas for a colour scheme....... :D

Hey Mr Reno....whats with the 139 ???:confused:
tell me its not the number of R4's you've weighed in :eek:

Hi.

nice car. how I can see, everything is the originaly, on this car. I have R4 tls 1982 but a lot of parts wasn't originaly. I used parts from many cars to redesign this car. I will make a pictures of my car and I will show you. it isn't something special but when I bought it it was a trash.

mot update

Decided to take my new toy for an MOT test yesterday
not too bad as i havent touched it at all apart from a new set of ngk plugs
failed on -
horn ,2 bulbs dirty connections ,brake imbalance , co emmisions at 5%,and a tiny piece of rust needing 50mm square patch

it appears my car is february 1976 built ,registered april 1976
definitly needs a name
any suggestions welcome ?

happy new year to every one (time to write out resolution list now :))

oh and thanks for the inspiration, after finding this forum which has saved this 4 from the crusher :(

paul

2 steps forward

Dear Clementine
now i am depressed :(
much fun and games with drum brakes later including discovering i had 2 osf cylinders my 4 was given an MOT pass
decided to carry on with an oil change etc ,oil was suspiciously grey maybe condensation i hoped as i removed oil cap no such luck as i noticed my glass coolant bottle empty :confused:
can you help me decide wether to use up my last remaining head gasket or to banish this naughty 32yr old :yellowre: from my workshop and sell it :rolleyes:

hook

Ok Mr Reno, I give up, the hook has sunk in!!!, how much for your little blue TL?, I just can't help meeself!. Can you tell me where the 50mm patch was welded?. Do you recon head gasket or cracked block?.
Cheers,
Alan.

Dear Clementine
can you help me decide wether to use up my last remaining head gasket or to banish this naughty 32yr old :yellowre: from my workshop and sell it :rolleyes:

Head off is a wonderful opportunity - only takes a long day (for me, bet you'd manage it much faster), but after doing mine and grinding all the valves in I can't tell whether the car is idling or if it has stalled.

Nice engine, good brakes and soggy dampers - that's my perfect 850 spec. :D

hi Alan
if you promise to give it a good home i might be tempted especially as i have still got 25 v6 limo
bit of along drive to come and have alook though!!
my phone number is on my profile
will probably fix it but now need workshop space so may end up blocking my dads drive way for a while
cheers paul

Hi Paul,
I've been looking for a TL for a while now, I've had 3 of them in the past and an F6 van, didn't like the "power" characteristics of the 1100 cc engine, and I found it quite thirsty compared to the little 850. My ideal spec would include a full sunroof but I was thinking if I could locate one I could fit it myself. I'm running a Clio just now during the winter, my idea for the 4tl is to leave it as is because it's so original (I assume the paint is original not resprayed?), and during the summer fit an LPG conversion for MEGA economical motoring. My pal also has an R4, a 1968 model, original too, in fact in about the same condition as yours.
And you're right, it's a long drive down south. Are you in London?.
Alan.

hi alan , not normally still up this late but couldnt sleep and just seen your message, would of sent you a PM but promised Clementine to cut down
i am self employed so ring my mobile when it suits you 8am- 6pm
paul

PS bought UK sales brochure off ebay dated july 1975 and folding roof was available as option on 4TL
interestingly available also was 7cwt pickup (will scan and post pic somewhen)

Sunroof

I actually contacted the owner of that green renault 4 with the sun roof and he sent me photo's, the combination of the car being in very poor condition and a 500+ mile drive put me off a bit, had it been closer I think I would have bought it regardless of the condition.. It was a full length sunroof too, just what I was looking for.
Alan.

hi bison , had a mixed day on saturday
espace diesel i have just put head on has knocked big ends out , then tidying up put phone on roof of espace opened tailgate which hinged up and above roof destroying lcd screen
so i no longer have acess to your phone number (or wi fi acess to the net)

good bit -after refilling coolant drove R4 5 miles back to my dads house without problem and is not pressurising system or lost water
very strange
drives very well and is very responsive in top gear (low geared ?)
not sure if it would make scotland though !!
can get car to falkirk in march as (barn owning) friend visiting then
call me or PM
paul

Back