Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

My other problem. Where is the brake fluid?

politeperson

The restorator
OK, the other thing I failed to achieve this evening was bleeding the brakes. I have a Bendix system. Its all been off the car. Most of it is new.

The master cylinder is new, it is the one with 3xM10 holes and 1xM12 x 1mm hole.

I plugged the M12 hole and ran a single line back to the compensator at the rear, where the lines split off to the rear wheels. All new lines and cylinders.

The front brakes bled easily after I failed to get and fluid out of the rears. Tried the rear for the second time.

I could get nothing from the rears again . Like they were not connected to the master!

I thought I might have air in the master, so I pulled a vacuum on the master bleed nipple. Nothing.

I removed the master bleed nipple. No fluid coming running out. I pocked a bit of MIG wire up it for fun. Nothing.

I now have some front brakes and no rear brakes. Any ideas?

Is my compensator cutting off the fluid with the wheels off the ground?

20220602_095022 (1).jpg

Brake bleeding is a pain when the rear wheels are off the ground. I'm doing brakes myself at the moment. I've got the front supported on axle stands and the rear wheel brake drums are sitting on a block of wood so the proportioning valve lets fluid into them. Worth trying that first.

Thanks Again Malcolm, I will have a go tomorrow and file a full report.

James

Back