Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

My poor Renault 4 -Please don't read if you get upset easily

Verycherry

Enthusiast
Well heres a sad sad tale.

Back in Septemeber a close friend that my father worked for sadly passed away but in her Will left her pride and Joy (a renault 4) to my dad. The car was in great condition, the little old lady had her from brand new and had it serviced yearly, she was beautiful. My dad use to have one and didn't want to sell it so he gave it to me.

Now I knew nothing about cars and to me a renault 4 could have been a vauxhall Corsa so when he drove up the road tooting the horn I was amazed and immediately fell in love. My dad parked her on the drive and there she stayed for some while whilst all the paper work was sorted. I sat in her every day, I cleaned her and loved her and now she was my pride and joy.

Sadly and this is the funny part I couldnt drive id been having lessons since forever and failed to pass on a number of occasions but as soon as Polly (my renault 4) came along I had something to work for and in November passed my test, (although I still couldnt take her out as the paperwork still hadn't arrived so I was stuck with my mums car to drive which really wasnt as fun as Polly). It was the happiest day of my life and I was so pleased to be able to take her out on the road.

Me and my friend spent a whole saturday just driving around, we had so much attention - people stopping to take pictures - and she was so fun to drive but the next day we were in our first accident.

A man drove in to the side of us at a set of traffic lights luckily my dad was in the car and got out to speak to the man and he admitted that he was at fault, phewy that my dad was there as a young girl who hasnt been driving long I would have got out and appologised. Thankfully I was in the right. So now they have taken Polly away to fix her and iv been given some posh courtesy car that is crap compared to her. I have found out today that they are writting her off as she is not worth a lot, they are giving her back with £250 (bad) so I am really sad but I think that my dad will be able to fix her himself.

I really really hope so. I think she will need a new bonnet and radioator. Does anyone feel my pain? are they easy to fix?
thanks,
Lauren

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about your bump. The insurance companies always write these cars off (mine was written off 2 years ago and lived to tell the tale). £250 sounds very mean though - any R4 with an MOT should be worth £500.

The good news - all the panels ahead of the windscreen bolt on, so it is really quick and easy to fit a secondhand bonnet - try Liam. Best to fit a new radiator rather than second hand - the old ones often leak.

Hi,
sure i can help ! .I have a really good silver bonnet that is virtually new and just has a very small dent in the middle front that is EASILY rectified when you have it resprayed.I will let you have it for the price of a Vegetable curry with rice and a Kulcha nan .In other words £10 if that is good with you ?Just let me know either way and i will put your name on it .

Hi, sure just come and collect it whenever you like or just arrange courier collection.The damage looks probably a lot worse than it is ! i.e the bulk of it on the bonnet.I do not have a front grille for you but this would be easy to get either used or a new one from Renault is still available and not mega money.

Just a quick update on Polly for you all. Thanks to Liam and his wonderful spare bonnet, Polly is up and running once again!
The bonnet is fantastic, same colour exactly and looks just like the old one ( before the bump!) Went out for a quick drive last night and was fantastic, although the temperature light kept coming on!
I had forgotten how great she is and how much attention others on the road give,
So i'll keep you updated with all the fun and adventures as and when they happen!
Thank to Liam once again for the fantastic bonnet and also dad for putting it on - sorry for being so inpatitent !
Lauren

Glad to hear the car is up and running again. Another one saved by Liam.

Be sure to get the cooling light seen to or else it could do some damage - if the radiator has been replaced the system probably needs bleeding.

Back