Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

My R4 died on me.

edwin

Enthusiast
Well, yesterday everything was going so well. We were in France and Ronnie the Renault had been driving perfectly the whole week we were there. We were heading for the station to catch a train to the airport to fly home, and just about to drop off Ronnie at a friends, to rest until our next visit, when we stopped to look at a shop. When we returned to the car, it started in fits and farts, coughing and stuttering and after 100 yards gave up all together. I tried to start it and the engine went round ok, but it spluttered and every now and then a cloud of white petrol smelling vapoury "smoke" came out of the air intake to the filter. It tried to start it but it would not achieve independent life. Checked all I could, and all seemed well, but it would not run . So I had to get recovery, made a dash for the station got the train, got the plane and I am now in the UK and Ronnie is at the local garage in France. The good thing is that the owner of the garage likes R4's and has two himself, so Ronnie is in good hands. However, we await a diagnosis, and a bill. The recovery went very well. The roadside assist I have with the insurance, had very good English speakers, and they were very friendly and helpful, as was the recovery driver. And the car was delivered to my village garage this morning. So as far as bad things go, it all worked well. I will keep you informed. Edwin

Well, yesterday everything was going so well. We were in France and Ronnie the Renault had been driving perfectly the whole week we were there. We were heading for the station to catch a train to the airport to fly home, and just about to drop off Ronnie at a friends, to rest until our next visit, when we stopped to look at a shop. When we returned to the car, it started in fits and farts, coughing and stuttering and after 100 yards gave up all together. I tried to start it and the engine went round ok, but it spluttered and every now and then a cloud of white petrol smelling vapoury "smoke" came out of the air intake to the filter. It tried to start it but it would not achieve independent life. Checked all I could, and all seemed well, but it would not run . So I had to get recovery, made a dash for the station got the train, got the plane and I am now in the UK and Ronnie is at the local garage in France. The good thing is that the owner of the garage likes R4's and has two himself, so Ronnie is in good hands. However, we await a diagnosis, and a bill. The recovery went very well. The roadside assist I have with the insurance, had very good English speakers, and they were very friendly and helpful, as was the recovery driver. And the car was delivered to my village garage this morning. So as far as bad things go, it all worked well. I will keep you informed. Edwin
Sorry to hear that Edwin but would be pleased to know which roadside assist you have

Sounds like (a) timing chain slipped (so timing goes awry) or (b) distributor retaining nut loose so distributor rotated on its axis (ditto result). If (a) possibly tensioner broken.

Sorry to hear that Edwin but would be pleased to know which roadside assist you have
Hi Jonathan. Ronnie the Renault lives in France so we can fly in and have a car there when we visit the house. So it is insured through a local insurance agent in our village .
The car insurance is with AREAS Assurances and the recovery is with AREAS ASSISTANCE. I have to say that dealing with them has been as good as I could hope for, and they have done everything they said they would, on time, friendly, helpfully, in English, and offering extra help as well. After my experience with the cheapskate, sneaky, slippery RAC, it has been a revelation. I would recommend them highly from our experience.

Sounds like (a) timing chain slipped (so timing goes awry) or (b) distributor retaining nut loose so distributor rotated on its axis (ditto result). If (a) possibly tensioner broken.
If it is the timing chain, that suggests the valves may have connected with piston tops and the engine could be finished. However the engine turned freely and easily with no unpleasant noises.

Don’t worry about piston an valve connection.
They come nowhere near each other in the combustion chamber.
I agree about an ignition issue.
But your local garage will probably sort it for you.
Good luck,
Robert.

Thanks for that but mine is a 845cc Billancourt engine.

You also wrote:
'However the engine turned freely and easily with no unpleasant noises'.

Exactly happened to me!
I had a 845cc engine breakdown due to a broken distribution chain. I put on a new chain & sprocket, and it was a happy start. The pistons & valves didn't hit eachother. You should be oke. Keep us updated!

Update on Ronnie. He is now working again. It turned out to be the capacitor ,which has been replaced, and something else which they can't translate, and as I have not yet had a fracture, I don't know what that is. However the bill was €106, which included a tip to the garagiste who transported my car. A pal has collected the car from the garage, and despite all Ronnie's obvious charms, my pal has complained about the gear change, the pedal heights, odd noises, and how nice his modern vehicle is. But must not complain, its great to have a pal who helps you when things are difficult. He is taking the car and putting him away in his nice comfy garage, ready for me to collect next time I am there, in March probably. Anyway way, thanks for all your help and support in my crisis, and I will keep you up to date on any further developments.

Back