Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

MY R4 has hickups

Cuno

Enthusiast
Hi

I bought my new R4 a few days ago (woohoo!), and on the way home it run just like it should. But the day after it started to 'hickup'. It starts just fine, and as long as there's no gear in (i.e. enginge runs freely) it seems to work fine. The problem is when i put a gear in an starts of, then it really hacks and spits. It does that a bit on even speeds too.

My first thought was air leakage in the carburettor, so i installed a new gasket, but that didn't help. So maybe something with the ignition system? Does anyone have had this problem with their R4? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Oh, btw - i tried to set the ignition timing, using a stroboscope lamp to match the mark on the fly wheel with the litte arrow. I could not set the timing correctly, since the engine started to choke whenever i got close to line them up. So it's a bit off now...

Am i using the correct points? The arrow by the fly wheel sits on the opposite side of the engine from the distributor, and i'm connecting the stroboscope lamp on the cable the to spark plug closest to the fly wheel, closest to the front.

It that correct?

Continuing the monologue.... :)

I checked the spark plugs, and they where pretty black and sooty. So i set the ignition timing correctly, and adjusted the idle a bit.

Still hacks though... oh well, it's going into garage for the winter, i'll continue next spring.

Hi Cuno,

Sorry to hear your R4 has hiccups. I've had a couple of thoughts: If the plugs are sooty it suggests the engine is running too rich. It's worth taking the top of the air filter off to check the choke is fully open. Sometimes the choke cable can slip and the choke won't open fully when you press the choke lever in.

The second thing I would check is ignition - make sure the distributor points are clean and have a gap. 0.4mm from memory. Then to set the timing you have to point the strobe at the flywheel through a slot in the gearbox casing. Do you have an owner's manual - otherwise I can put the photo on-line.

If the car has problems on engine load then it's also worth checking that the vacuum advance is working. Just take the distributor cap off and then suck through the vacuum advance hose. The distributor base plate should rotate.

You've probably done all this already. Otherwise let me know if anything works or changes.

:D

Thanks for your reply Clementine!

Yes, i've pretty much done the things you say. A strange thing with setting the ignition though -- the mark is on the left side of the engine, and the distributor is on the right...kinda strange, usually they're on the same side so you can adjust the ignition without having to reach over the engine (holding the lamp in one hand, reaching over with the other to set the ignition). Ok, not a problem with such a small engine :), but still strange.

The ignition was far off, so hopefully the sooty sparkplugs are history.

But here's the really strange thing - there's no vacuum advance 'clock' (it's called that in swedish, don't know the correct term) by the distributor! I was in doubt if there should be one at all, but from your reply i guess there should be one... I plugged the vacuum 'outlet' on the carburettor for now. I must get that fixed before spring.

Sounds like you might have cracked it. The 1100cc cars had a vacuum advance but the 850cc and 750cc didn't have one. The timing marks are in a tricky place - it's just one of the odd things that make these cars fun.

Thanks for your replies, Clementine!

The engine runs ok now, it was the contact breakers that had burned. I changed breakers, rotor, distributor and capacitor, and that did most of the trick. Still a few misfirings, mostly when the engine is cold. But i can live with that :) I guess i will look over the carburettor some day too.

What a joy the R4 is to work with, switching all the parts and setting the timing + test drive took about 1/2 hour :)

I saw the photos in the gallery http://www.renault4.co.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=10055 The car looks like it's in decent condition. I like the peaked cap on the roof and the big spotlights - very racy. I don't suppose you know where the alloy wheels are from? I had a GTL with those wheels about 10 years ago but haven't seen them on a Renault 4 since.

:clementi:

I don't know where those wheels are from, but i know i've seen them before. Maybe they're R5 wheels(?). They have 155 tyres, too wide for R4, so maybe that's it.

I'm actually in favour of the vintage look, so i've already removed the spotlights and switched to the kind of wheels your R4 has. I'm planning on removing the peaked cap too, but that will have to wait until spring since it's in winter garage now.

The car looks better than it is, the renovation isn't the best i've seen (not anywhere near your work). But it's ok, and i like having that roof too.

I'm off to buy another R4 between christmas and new years - something to drive for the winter, hopefully it's in shape to keep for longer than that. I'll post that on the gallery too.

Merry x-mas all!

did the early cars like the similar Dauphne not have carbs without accel pumps This made them stutter a lot when pulling away or changing speed or relaxing your toe etc.

Mine has got an accelerator pump though. I just bought another R4 and had similar problems with that. It turned out to be moisture in the distributor cap. Seems the R4 ignition is very sensitive to that... Easy fix, just sprayed some 5-56 in the cap (and some down the centrifugal regulator while i was at it).

The wheels in the yellow one are from a R5 Alpine (and maybe the rare R4 Alpine had them too), I have one set that need painting wich I bought from a friend who had had a wrecked R5 Alipne (I'd love to take the engine, but he only had kept the wheels).

I've never come across a Renault 4 Alpine other than cars people have converted using R5 Alpine parts. Did Renault really make a R4 Alpine?

Well...
I heard that it was a really limited edition (like the camper van), but I never saw an original one, only modifications.

I am fairly sure there had never been an "official" R4 Alpine, no R4 historical book mentions something. But have you ever thought how many people would have bought it? It would certainly have messed up the sales of the R5 Alpine!!!

air leakage in the carburettor

Only remedy was a new carburettor. I was told that Fiat Panda carb can fit with slight modification and it DID!

Now my R4 runs as new (I can remember that since I bought it as a new one). The change was drastic....runs real smooth and engine is very calm.

That's interesting. The Renault 4 GTL carb is too lean. It's possible to adjust the needles/jets, but that's a hassle, and the carb is still restrictive. Which model Fiat Panta did your carb come from? And what modifications did it need?

Back