Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

need for advice

liburn

Enthusiast
Hi people, i just bought a renault 4 (1123-3).I am not a mechanic but i will tray to fix something by myself or at least find the spares and then take it to the mechanic.I live in Albania and here there is no experience in cars like this so i know repairing it (except painting) will be difficult.
questions:
Whats the oil capacity of the motor and the gear box and what kind of oil must i use?
Regarding the amortization what kind of other absorbers can i use if i cant find the original one.can i use another car kind of absorbers?
Can i put springers to the amortization system?
In my car documents the year of production is not written.How can i find it?

Thanks in advance to all of u.
Every kind of advice would be helpful to me.

Is the R1123 the 850cc car? If so the engine should hold 2.5 litres of oil plus a little for the oil filter, and the gearbox 1.15 litres (if it is the 4 speed). EP80 oil for the gearbox and 20W/50 for the engine. You might find a handbook or manual useful - you can buy them from eBay.

For suspension shock absorbers, you might be able to fit parts from another car to the front, but not to the rear. The rear absorbers operate in the opposite direction to normal ones, so ones from other cars would make the rear slide around corners. There is no point in adding extra springs.

It's difficult to find the year. Renault weren't able to help me find the year of one of my cars. What is your chassis number? Somebody in the forum might have a similar chassis number on their car.

thanks

Yes infact its a four speed and from what i have read from the internet it has to be 850cc(is there any different way to chek this).The oil filter i have noticed from outside its a very short one(can i use another kind or i must find the original).
My chasis number is 5527768, and there are three litle plates with this numbers: omogolazione dgm84810m nr 55277GS
145 102 1694289\
Yesterday i worked a little on it.I take to pieces all the inside cruscot,steering wheel,the air fan,the little heat radiator inside and the windscreen wipers and motor.
Everything works but there are a lot of power problems.The switches are a little damaged, notably the light and the signal switch in the left of the wheel.
If the rain and my back ache stop i will continou working today.
I would like to ask again of different problems.Can i?

Thanks a lot for everything

I would guess '76-'77 from the chassis numbers.Also 102 series means it is Italian import,in your country you had the "special" 511 series.I am curious,are there other R4s in Albania?
R1123 means 845cc engine,too. To be sure send the engine number (on a plate on the right front side of the engine,just ahead of the ignition coil).
The front shock absorbers are identical to those fitted to Renault 5 from '72 to '84. But for the rear you have no other solution than to find R4 shock absorbers.
There are a lot of R4 parts,mostly mechanical, here in Greece and also in former Yugoslavia, so there is always the possibility of these short trips to search for parts.

THANKS ANGEL FOR YOUR HELP AND I AM SORRY I DIDN'T ANSWER U BEFORE BUT I WAS MOST OF THE TIME OUT OF THE OFFICE AND VERY BUSY.IDIDN'T HAVE THE TIME TO WORK ON MY RENAULT TOO.
RECENTLY I HAVE SEEN THREE RENAULTS 4 I MY CITY TIRANA IN GOOD SHAPE AND 3 IN SOME OTHER DIFERENT CITIES.I HAVE FOUND ANOTHER ONE ,RED,BUT IT HAS NO DOCUMENTS AT ALL SO ITS A BIG TROUBLE TO TAKE IT BUT I THINK I WILL FACE THE RISC AND I WILL BUY IT.THE ONE I HAVE ITS SKY COLOR AND IN A BAD SHAPE BUT I THINK I WILL REPAIR IT DURING THIS SUMMER.tHE CHASIS REPAIR,SEATS,PAINTING ETC ARE SURE, BUT THE DIFFICULT COMES WITH THE MECHANICAL PARTS.
bRAKES A RE A BIG PROBLEM BECOUSR I HAVE TO PAS THE TEST IN ORDER TO RENOVATE THE DOCUMENTS.
cAN U GIVE ME SOME ADVICE TO IMPROVE THE BRAKE SYSTEM ?
CAN THE BRAKE FLUID PUMP AND THE PISTONS AT THE TYRES BE REPAIRED OR CAN I USE SOME OTHER KIND SPARES FROM ANOTHEC KIND OF CAR FOR THOSE?
THANKS A LOT
BYE

Back