Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

need help

peter pan

Enthusiast
i have had a Renault 4 given two me been standing for 15 yrs not sure Wat Renault 4 it is i haven't got log book for the car and its not registered in this country i have got all the numbers off the car is it a way i can find out Wat Renault 4 it is with out the log book? I do know tho thats its 1982 left hand drive :confused:

The chassis plates on the bulkhead under the bonnet should offer some clues. There will probably be an oval shaped plate with a number like maybe R1123 or R1126 stamped on it, otherwise the chassis number on the diamond shaped plate should start with that sort of number. That number is the model designation.

Google the number or post it here and we should be able to figure out the model.

OK on the oval plate the type is R1126 and the yr is 1982 looked up r1126 and the date of car but cant find it

R1126 - that would probably have been imported from France and should have a 782cc engine. For model type I would guess they still called it a Renault 4L at that time (quatrelle), though I'm not 100% certain of the model type.

What are your plans for the car? Is it a worthy enough project to put back on the road?

yes its not in bad nick no welding needed at all part from a bit of rust in side the door and the body needs a bit of TLC but part from that its in good nick cos it was locked up for 15 yrs that i know of
might need a new window cos it is a small crack in it
:p i had the car for free cos they wanted it out of the way :D

Hi Peterpan, what part of south wales, I,m in Ammanford and have lots of R4 spares. Call if you need help

thanks for your help Clementine i got Wat i wanted. hope 2 get the car started soon nice two see 1 on the road over here

It will be good to have another on the road - they are getting rare now. The 782cc engine was never officially sold in the in the Renault 4, though Renault and probably motor factors should still be able to supply parts. If you need to order anything through Renault they'll need the full number on the oval plate. Just about everything else should be available second hand or new.

Good luck with the project, and ask here if you get stuck. Would love to see some pics.

Back