Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

New style doors on a pre '82 car?

Bertl

Goißatreiber
Hi everybody,

is it possible to modify the doors with the inside hinges to fit on a pre '82 car, i.e. take the hinges from an earlier door and just weld them on?

Thanks, Robert

Looks to me like the later doors would bolt straight on if you added nut blocks to the pillars.

Otherwise folding the skin of the door to clear the hinges would be fun, and the metal work looks like it is in a similar position so it might be possible to cut both the old hinge and the new one and weld the parts together. Looks difficult to access the structure within the door.

Does anyone have a closeup of the new style hinges? and the block that is bolted to the frame?

Robert

Renault's approach to this is that "new style" doors will fit old style bodies. In fact a friend just had it done on his R4. After studying my Jogging (new style) we found that there was no major difference on the A- and B-posts, so he discussed it with his bodyworker, who was very reluctant initially. But finally he managed to get him to fit them.
New style hinges have two M6 studs welded on, so there are no nut blocks needed. I think there is a reinforcement plate welded on the body (but I may be wrong). n any case, a rectangular steel plate, say 2mm thick, sandwiched between the nuts and body pillar, would make a perfect job of spreading the load.
To actually fit the door you need to cut the old hinges from the body and measure carefully where to drill. The best way would be to hold the door on place while you mark the hinge stud position. This does not need to be dead accurate as the holes are to be drilled oversize anyway to allow door adjustment. For the rear doors, as you will have no access to the hinge nuts from the inside, you must cut two oblong shaped windows on the inside of the B-pillar.

Bertl, I don't think it's worth just putting new hinges on an early door. Malcolm was right saying that you have no access to weld them, furthermore the door skin contours are different on each door, the old style ones have a cutout for the hinge which must be closed somehow. Better find new style doors, there must be plenty of them in your country, as they come from later cars they should be in better shape and as a bonus have always the plastic window frames.

I will have you some photos of old vs new stule doors tomorrow.

Sorry, could not shoot good quality pictures with the door on the car, and I don't have any new style doors lying around...

Angel,

I'm looking forward to the pictures if you can take them.
I have a 1978 GTL with the old style doors.
I want to have the car redone, and the mechanic is a bit reluctant to blast the old paint off the old doors, besides, a recent hailstorm has put some dents into them.
Ebay, "Der Franzose" and "Reno4er" just carry the doors with the inside hinges (new style).
So your description of fitting the new doors is very enlightening, thank you.
However, I'd like to keep the appearance of the car the way it is ... might just look what leboncoin throws up during August and September.

All the best
Robert

I had assumed rust was the issue. Any blasting on R4 panels needs to be really low pressure and care is needed to prevent heating. Would take too long to have someone else do it properly.

I used paint stripper and filler for the dents on mine. It's cool to have external door hinges!

Back