Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

New to the world of the R4

Steve C

Hi there I am just in the process of giving my VW Golf Mk5 to my Fiancee and I would like to get back to my roots of having a perfectly simple car. Previously I have owned a Renault 5, only a few years ago, so I am not new to Renaults however I am to R4s. A friend of a friend owns one an I have fallen in love with the idea of having one.

My question is to all where can I find R4s. I live in the Channel Islands so France and the UK are both viable options. Where is best to start. Obviously this site is great, but is there a Renault 4 Mecca?

Please can someone help me.

r4 mecca

serbia-but no ones home-or there doing a micheal-work that one out.
Reg

Thanks

Cheers reg, I am serious though. I am an engineer and have my own workshop, so I am happy to carry out a restoration. However I would appreciate decent advice on where to start. Including lessons learnt.

Buy the best you can find, its much easier starting with a good car than trying to restore one back again.

France would probably be a better bet for a rust free car, most of the UK cars are suffering with dreadful tin worm.

Good luck and keep us upto date with your progress.

Pepper, thanks. I'll aim to get a near perfect car, however this is more and more less likely. I think a trip over to Normandy/Brittany this Easter will be a start. Luckily my french isn't too bad.

Watch this space.

Any other comments welcome.

Avoid anything too near the coast. I looked at a van in Brittany last year, and it was awful, a heap of rust. The S.E. of France is probably the best area. Try French websites, such as www.r4-4l.com and click on 'Annonces'. You get set adverts, not an auction. This way you can at least inspect before buying and haggle on the asking price.

Tim

first r4

buy the one you cant afford-its cheaper in the end-if you buy cheap it will spoil the enjoyment of your first experiance-good luck-choose carefully
Reg

South of France, or further East (R4s were built in Slovenia too). While RHD (Irish built) R4s were only made until the mid-1980s, they were made until at least 1992 in Europe, so you can get a much newer one, from a dryer/warmer climate, so less rust. Check out the usual trouble spots.

Let us know how you get on!

Which year do you fancy? The R4 was built and updated over 33 years. The very earliest are a bit slow and more vintage in feel, and the later ones are more driveable and modern in feel but not quite so cool. Also which side do you want the steering wheel on?

I picked up a very early one from the south of France (near Avignon) and it's rust free. But I've decided I prefer the later ones and she's too nice to modify so if you prefer the early ones it's a possibility.

Otherwise a nice Clan from the late 1990s from southern France would be a good bet. After 1984 they had better rustproofing and the 1108 engine had been introduced. A good holiday going over and driving it back would be fun.

Renault 4 GTL 1986

Hi Steve,

I know I should get out more...but I spend perhaps too much time trawling the net looking for my next classic...came accross a good rust free 4 imported from Italy and given a respray [back to bare metal] plus what would seem to be an extensive overhaul with lots of new parts [radiator, brakes, fuel pump and more....] the car is LHD but surely that just lends to the 'je ne sais quois' effect and anyway, is overtaking in an R4 a major consideration. Not too sure what the going rate is for a good one is,:p but the guy [seems like genuine reason for sale] is asking £2,700 or offer.

Kind Regards and good luck!

£2700 doesn't seem mad if it is isn't rusty, is properly sorted and has a proper respray. It's towards the top end for a LHD GTL in the UK - the steering wheel on the wrong side might reduce the value in the UK, but then most UK cars are not rust free. If it's a nice one go for it.

Overtaking isn't a big consideration for R4s, though having the steering on the right side is handy. Especially for those of us with a sore neck who haven't got around to fitting a mirror on the RHS door.

Back