Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

nice but dim.

sue denim

Enthusiast
I am currently removing an engine from an 1984 1128 to put into a 1983 1123.

The 28 has disc brake and the 23 has drums. Can I fit the disc brake or are the drums big enough for the larger engine!.

I also have a minor problem with the engine mount bolts on the distributor side of the engine. I cannot get them out as they hit the side of the engine brace thing.
How do I get the engine out. I cannot see another way.

I think that this engine will fit into the 1123 as the gear box is going with it.

Any answers to the above and any hints gratefully received.

Thank you in advance.

I would fit the disc brakes from the 1128. I did the same conversion retaining drum brakes and I wasn't happy with them. That means swapping suspension uprights.

For removing the engine the best way is to undo the nuts on the bottom of the engine rubber mounting on each side. They are a bit of a fiddle and you need to be underneath the car. That will get the engine out, but you'll also need to remove the brackets they sit on and move them to the chassis the engine will go into.

It's worth holding on to the doner car until you have the car running - there are other bits and pieces you might want to swap over. Good idea keeping the gearbox with the engine.

You might like to swap over the rear axle and all associated brake stuff. On your R1123 the parking brake is connected to the front drums. The R1128 has the parking brake on the rear drums.
Come to think of it, you'll need to clean the entire R1123 engine bay of everything that smells of 845cc and transplant everything from the R1128 engine bay to the R1123. Because of the different radiator on the R1128 the "battery box" is different from the one in the R1123. You can keep the horn and the bumper brackets. The rest has to go.

Back