Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Nnock knock

YellowVan

Enthusiast
Any ideas anyone?

My R4 van has a knocking sound when turning right, I can feel it through the steering wheel. Its a definate knock, knock knock until I get faster and straighten up the steering, it does not knock when at speed, but when going slow. I dont think it is the wheel bearing as no movement in the wheel when jacked up; is there any way to check the driveshaft? Could it also be something to do with the steering?

Also is it normal for the brake caliper to have a little play in it when grabbed and twisted side to side? It seems to be the same on both sides.

Thanks for any help.

I would bet it is thw oUter CV joint (especially as you can feel it on the steering wheel-it's typical), and probably the left one (as it turns more rapidly when you turn right.

The play on the caliper is there even when new! That's how it functions!

if you get a pair of mole grips and lock them onto centre of d /shaft rocking up and down with grips will find the play in joint and may even knock if badly worn
it is possible that there is no grease left in gaiter and joint has run (or been assembled)dry you will need to replace whole shaft as the outer joint is part of the shaft

Thanks for the replys, I will give the mole grips a try tomorrow morning to feel for play.

If it is the driveshaft outer cv joint and it the whole shaft needs replacing is it an easy thing to do. I have been looking in the Haynes Manual which says I will need some special tools to do it; the car is a 1988 R4 van (french) what special tools am i likley to need to get hold of. There should not be a pin holding the shaft as it is an 1988 van so thats one tool less. I have a puller but I do not have the 'special tool' to pull the hub back on, do I need it or will something else sufice.

I am glad the brake caliper should have some play; was having visions of more repairs.

Angel - You say it is likey to be the left one, is the same as my R4 is a left hooker (frenchy).

Thanks

Cheers

Yep you were right,
There is slight play in the right hand side but much more (the handles on the mole grips move about 1cm when up and down movement applied) on the left side.
Looking on net for a driveshaft now.

Wow, 1 cm!! Never met such worn CV joint on a R4!

The driveshaft is easier to remove/install than the manuals describe! You can tap the outer CV joint from the hub with a hammer (you don't have to worry about damaging the threads on such a worn driveshaft!) if it is a little tight. When you insert the new driveshaft, coat the splines lightly with grease. You will notice that on insertion of the driveshaft outer side in the hub, a part of the threads will be visible from the outer hub side. Screw the driveshaft nut and it will draw the CV joint in position when tightened.

Well that will account for the knocking then.
Does anyone know where is a good (cheap) place to get driveshafts from (uk or France based) there is one on ebay at the moment but I might as well get two as it is only going to be a matter of time before the other side goes so while she is in bits I will do both sides.

Thanks again.

Back