Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Oil Filters?

Lobster

Enthusiast
Question hopefully someone can answer for me.... my F6 has had a replacement engine at some point in its life - standard 1108 from a R5 Le Car 2 - engine number is CO24789.

I need to buy some new oil filters but how do I know which type mine is - apparently they differ very slightly in terms of if they are metric or not. Renault dealer tells me the engines using the metric filter have a green sticker on the top. I don't have a green sticker but could that just be that it's come off sometime in the last twenty four years?

Any other suggestions?

For the Renault 4 according to the motor factor books the changeover date was about 1984. All of my cars seem to be post 1984 metric (including the 1984 cars). Was the LeCar2 was available before '84? I'd have guessed yours would be metric.

The other way is to remove the filter and measure the thread diameter, if metric it will be exactly 20mm, the earlier imperial is 3/4" (19,05mm).
Be careful if you fit the metric filter to an imperial pipe, it will screw easily but sloppy and will not tighten correctly.

Back