Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Oil Leak

Perkins

Enthusiast
Hi to all,

Our trusty Renault 4 GTL is leaking oil from the engine at an alarming rate. As per usual, there is so much oil all over the lower engine, that it's impossible to see where it is coming from, but given that I have just dropped the last pint (aghhh) into a bowl underneath, I think it must be coming from the sump seal. Anything higher up would surely leave more oil in the system.

Frighteningly the oil lamp has only just come on, with literally a pint left in the block !

Anyways, has anybody out there in Renaultland ever changed the sump gasket in-situ from underneath ? I have a set of drive up ramps, so I have just enough (uncomfortable) clearance to do the job, but is it possible and how awful a job is it ?

I see from the Haynes Bible that the gasket is in several pieces and so looks a likely culprit for a good old leak. Does anyone know what it's made of and how easy they are to get hold of ?

Look forward to your thoughts,

Perkins

Not sure if it is possible to change the sump gasket with the engine in place on the 1108 engines. Certainly it won't be easy.

Sump gaskets don't normally leak. Normally the leaks are from the rocker cover gasket, fuel pump or sump plug. The oil system has a pump so there is no need for the leak to be at the bottom of the engine.

I'd wash the engine, refill with oil, then identify the leak.

I'd also recommend checking the fuel pump, I've seen quite a few leaking from around there.

Identify specifically where the leak is coming from first otherwise you could causing yourself an awful lot of extra work.

also check the obvious-oil filter-oil pressure switch-you need to steamclean it all first-then run it while you watch-me thinks
Reg

Good call Reggie, I've had to change a couple of those in the past too.

Hi to all,

Thanks for the great response as ever - I'm always amazed at what a helpful and friendly forum this is. Must say something about the cars !

I'll get busy with the Gunk/white spirit/pressure washer and see what oozes out. Sounds like I'm in for another fun packed weekend up to my uxtors in grot.

I'll keep you posted of what I find.

Bye for now

Perkins

Hi to all again,

I just spent a delightful hour rooting around the block of our R4 - a big thank you to all for your advice, as you saved me a lot of grief.

Sure enough, it is leaking from the oil pressire switch - presumably this is the sender screwed into the block to the rear of the oil filter ?

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a none French one ? There are a couple on ebay at the moment, but I'm not sure if they are a universal fit, or model/year specific.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Perkins

It'll be alright to fit another french one, the original has probably managed to last for twenty years or so.

Back