Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

oil pressure problem?

Torgny

hi all, yesterday I cleaned the engine very well and after having some problems with water in the igniter, I could drive home without any problems. Today when I start the car the warning light for oil pressure and water temperature goes on after 1 minute. Then it fades on and off when I drive but does not seem related to the revs of the engine. If I disconnect the oil pressure sensor then it comes off. Any idea of what could be the problem? is it likely to be a real problem with oil pressure or rather an electric problem due to cleaning the engine..?

on a separate note I have also discovered that the the engine is leaking coolant from the water pump and and I recently changed the rocker cover gasket to stop an oil leak. I also had the carburetor off for a clean (and for that I had to drain the cooling system). not sure if any of this could cause the issues I have now located to the oil pressure but maybe it does.

the car is an R4 from 1984. any suggestions appreciated. thanks.

Hi

If you are losing coolant from the waterpump, there is a good chance the temperature warning light will come on. If you have resolved the leak from the waterpump, refilled the cooling system and the temperature warning light is still coming on, it is possible you have not bled the cooling the system and there is an air lock somewhere. With regards to the oil pressure warning light, i'm not sure why it is also coming on, clean the switch's mating surfaces and abrade the electrical connector with some emery, reconnect and see what happens.

ok, thanks. I will test, but shouldn't a connectivity problem with the oil pressure sensor rather lead to the light being off when it should be on rather then like it acts now (being on when it should be off)?

Gemlins from washing the engine probably. Oil & temp switches are on/off - fading in and out suggests that there is an electrical issue somewhere else that is making the dash light come and go. Maybe!

Hate to state the obvious, but have you checked the dipstick to make sure you have enough oil?

solved - I ended up changing the oil sensor, oil filter and the oil but most likely the problem was with the sensor after taking in water when I was cleaning the engine. Now I can return to the other problems :laughing:

Back