Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Ornella the '65 Quatrelle

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
I picked up Ornallla from Avignon yesterday. She turned out to be in much better condition than I expected. The panels and paint are good, and the exterior is polished to 'show condition'. The underneath seems rust free and original so it seems a shame to take her back to the UK.

I'm slowly returning home. Currently having a pit stop at Maison-van-Rouge in Burgundy for adjustments and preparations for the long, slow drive home. Ornella needs carb and/or timing adjustments, clutch cable adjustments, also tracking before the trip.

I'm not used to the 3 speed box yet - big gaps between the gears, and not enough torque from the 850 to hold the next gear on an incline, though I think the timing is out.

Here's a picture taken outside Chez Bluebell.

• ornella-chez-bluebell.jpg
    ornella-chez-bluebell.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 288
Thats lovely, more pictures are really needed though!

A beautiful car Malcolm. What, if anything, is wrong with her? What's behind the name?

Last edited:
..Of course I didnt know that Malcolm..

Enjoy the slow trip home and we all wish you both well.

See you and Nutella at Paradise soon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the original topic if nobody minds. I've been looking at '65 Renault 4 tailgate hinges and badges in various issues of the 4L magazine.

Ornella appears to be fitted with post-1965 tailgate hinges, and random late '60s badge which I think is correct for cars made before they added a badge to the front wing. My other '65 car is slightly later (as it has the later drain holes in the gutters) but has the correct hinges. Photos attached below.

My other '65 has a badge I have never seen elsewhere other than in photos of boerammetje's badge collection. Does anyone know which years or models the black on silver badge reading "Renault 4" is correct for?

Some '65 R4s in the 4L magazine are fitted with the very cool silver badge formed from the letters "4L" and with Renault written along the horizontal parts of the badge. Does anyone know when this badge was phased out? Possibly mid 1965 at the same time as the change in roof drain?

For a bonus point - did the tailgate pressing change with the hinges in '66? The pressing looks a little different around the hinge in the two photos.

• ornella-bootlid.jpg
    ornella-bootlid.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 65-bootlid.jpg
    65-bootlid.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 217
Malcolm you are right, the new badge (as on the lower photo) appeared in 1966 "model year" (that means, July 1965).
It is obvious that the new hinges (1967 model year) made a new tailgate pressing necessary. I had always thought that it was not possible to fit a late (bolt-on hinges) tailgate to an early body, but it seems possible.
As we are talking about this part of the body, does this car have the earlier tailgate support arm that needs to be "unlocked" by hand first? (opposed to just pulling the tailgate down?

That's brilliant - so my new car should have the 4L badge. Good news as that's the one I like the most. I'm guessing the badge that read "Renault" in chrome letters was '67 model year onwards. I'll look at my other tailgate when I get home to see how restorable it is and look out for a 4L badge.

The tailgate stay is one that locks in place. I'm not sure when they changed to the other type, but certainly it was after 1968. Moving further forward in the car I also have attachments on the chassis for the arms that lock the rear seat in place - the chassis attachments are used when the rear seat is folded.

1100km completed from Avignon, and so far I've only made it as far as Saint Omer just south of Calais.

Ornella seems to be better for her run. The cylinder without compression seems to have some compression now, and the car buzzes along at an indicated 110km/h and is idling much better. Must have been a valve seating problem. Must remember to search the forum to see if the Ventoux engine needs lead additive in case I improve the valve too much in the remainder of the trip. (Edit - searched, should be OK. Besides, I'm not running at full power).

The rear suspension adjustments seem to have helped a little (still not all the way there), and the drive was surprisingly relaxing. Thought about continuing home rather than stopping overnight at one point. The carburettor is still awful - needs a little choke sometimes to keep it from kangarooing.

Tomorrow a short trip under the English Channel for the final leg.

Glad hear that the latest leg of Ornella's journey went without a hitch. Did you get to St Omer before nightfall?

I had about 1 hour driving in the dark. A good opportunity to test out the 35W 6V yellow headlamps. Pretty awful on dipped beam but not too bad on full beam, and dim enough not to be flashed by oncoming traffic.

Couldn't find the hotel though. Drove around for ages and was going to give you a call for Google directions, but I couldn't find any street names either so that wouldn't have been much use. Turns out I can't follow directions in French despite the best efforts of the friendly locals.

Back to the UK after a total of 1500km. Photos say it all. Never felt that someone was going to crash into the back of me as I accelerated away at top speed in France. A few worrying moments in the UK.

Of course they'd drunk all my beer while I'd been away, so I took Ermintrude to the local supermarket. What a difference in performance - just need to touch the throttle in Ermintrude and I'm up to 60km/h. Unfortunately she seems to have become covered in algae while I was away. I fear Ornella might rust away overnight unless I head straight back to Avignon.

• traffic.jpg
    traffic.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 89
  • dark.jpg
    dark.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 88
Good to see you made it home Malcolm.

Looking at the météo I note that today and for the next week it is wall to wall sunshine and 14 degrees in Avignon. :D So why is it 8 degrees and raining here?

Do you mean to say that someone drinks your beer too?

Wow what a fantastic photo, I love the looks of the very eary cars but my favourite has to be the 1970's cars with the larger chrome grille.

Happy kilometers (ehhh...miles now...) to your new 4L Malcolm!

Back