Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Painting wheels without removing tires

RichardIRL

Enthusiast
Does anybody know how to mask tires so that wheels can be painted without removing the tires?

I am about to paint my wheels and it would save a lot of hassle if I could do it without removing the tires (or is it tyres?).

Deflating the tyres will allow you to mask more closely. Masking tape will stick to clean tyres. I've always tended to cut lots of short strips and try to feed them into the gap between the rim and the tyre.

It's possible to buy really narrow masking tape (5mm wide) that could be applied continuously, but it might be a pain to get between the tyre and the rim. If it works then further masking tape can be applied roughly onto that, then masking paper to cover the tyres.

Tires is an American mis-spelling I think.

the workshop next to me has a set of tall expanding metal rings with a curled lip wich fit in the gap which he has used for years, maybe they are for sale still ? ebay perhaps or car restoration type places

You can cut rings from plastic or strong paper with inner diameter the diameter of the wheel.
If I want to just spray one coat of paint, I don't mask the tyre, just wipe the overspray with paint thinner afterwards.

Back