Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

plasticy strips on door bottoms

newport nutter

hi from newport south wales
I'm new to the forum so be gentil with me.
Ive got an "a" reg gtl and want to know how to remove the plastic trim thingies from the door bottoms without ruining them. I have tried prising out the little plastic plugs but this wrecks them, is there an official technique that someone can pass :?: on
thanks
newport nutter.

Hi newport nutter,

I'm not aware of any special technique. I use a small electrical screwdriver, work it behind the edge of the plastic plug at the bottom, then pop the plug outwards. They can occasionally be a very tight fit but mostly will pop off without too much damage. After that it's just a case of unscrewing the rusty screws and pushing the plastic trim upwards over the clips at the top. I suppose you could spray some penetrating fluid in there to help the clips pop off.

Are you removing the parts so that you can treat your R4 to a shiny new paint job?

:clementi:

re-re plasticy strips on door bottoms

yes I am going to treat it to a nice shiny paint job at least I hope it will be nice and shiny as I am planning to brush paint it.
I have bought a tin of re-paint from halfords to see what sort of job I can get with that but I have recently seen a very interesting web-site called paining pointers www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
this guy is a coach painter and has some good tips and techniques for,if like me you either don't fancy, or cannot spray paint your car.
michael.

Proper coach painting (brush) painting can look very good, but can also look very bad. I would guess getting the correct paint / thinners ratio would be crucial.

I used one of those electric sprayguns on a car once - in fact it was to apply the white undercoat to Florence the Psychadelic Renault 4. I'm pretty sure they can be bought for next to nothing and they aren't really that bad. Might be an easier alternative to brush painting (less skill required maybe).

Here's a novel way of painting a car...

A friend of mine paints cars using a roller! What's really amazing, though, is that the end result is actually quite presentable. The first time he told me I thought he was joking, but I've actually seen him do it - slap some paint on with a brush (Dulux anti-rust metal paint, thinned with 10% white spirit), then go over it with a roller (the sponge type, not a furry one) to spread it evenly. I know it sounds like a horrendous thing to do to a car, but the end result really does look quite good.

La Poste

Back