Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Please sell me your red R4!!!!

Jenny

I know you all own your cars becuse you love them, but I'm posting this on the off chance tht someone out there may have one too many (is that possible?) and be willing to part with one to a good home.

My mother is French and we had a new red R4 when I was about 10, and boy did us kids hate it!! "Mum we want a NORMAL car like all our friends" was a common moan. Thanks to us the R4 was replaced by some sort of nondescript Peugeot - you can imagine my feelings of regret.

However, 20 years on, I finally get it! I've admired them each time I've been to Corsica and my gradual desire has blossomed into full blown craving - very odd.

A red one would be amazing for nostalgia reasons, but I couldn't say no if someone was offering me another colour. I'm no mechanic but have a small budget so reasonable condition would be good.

If anyone out there knows of one that may be avilable I'd be really grateful if you could post a reply.

Thanks for reading - and a great website by the way.

Just missed one on ebay - GUTTED

Last edited:
A red one went on eBay last week for £670. Was that the one you missed? It's well worth keeping your eyes open there too. A few other places to look are posted here: http://www.renault4.co.uk/buying-R4s.htm, and be sure to check the new buyers guide here: http://www.renault4.co.uk/guides.htm

Although do you really want a red one? While the red ones are generally less rusty, bear in mind that the blue ones have more powerful engines, the green ones are slightly more aerodynamic so have a higher top speed, and the yellow ones have the most comfy seats and brighter headlamps. Avoid white ones like the plague.

Thanks loads Rudi and Clementine. It was sites like this that has given me the confidence to go ahead and try to find one.

Clementine - I think the fact that I'm not entirely sure whether or not you're joking shows exactly the amount of homework I need to do in between now & finding one. If I ever do. (But I still secretly want a red one...!)

Clementine said:
Although do you really want a red one? While the red ones are generally less rusty, bear in mind that the blue ones have more powerful engines, the green ones are slightly more aerodynamic so have a higher top speed, and the yellow ones have the most comfy seats and brighter headlamps. Avoid white ones like the plague.

Jenny, don't take any notice of Clementine when he says avoid white ones. White ones are good because they can carry such a lot more.

• load.jpg
    load.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Blue R4s

Whilst I'm thinking about it - have you seen the go-faster spoilers you can get for the blue ones? You can get them from the Renault dealers Oxbridge branch and fit them quite easily yourself if you have a bit of string. ;)

• CIMG4949.JPG
    CIMG4949.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 270
...Pulling Jenny's leg...

Jenny

Thats my car with the spoiler and look at what she looks like without the spoiler - Much smarter - so dont waste your money on the 'Oxbridge spoiler' - Just get yourself a really good one - dont just buy one in desperation!!
...and mine is green not blue by the way Bluebell as Clementien will testify!!

• CIMG0006.jpg
    CIMG0006.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 275
...you are right...

Bluebell

You are 'right right you're bloody well right'...

Which group sang that song? A cd to the first person who gets it correct as long as I HAVE AN ADDRESS WHERE TO SEND IT..

By the way are you a male bluebell or a male bluebell?

Oh, by the way one and all, my son Jack has just passed his test and on his first outing in Dad's pride and joy he backed into a badly parked supermarket trolley!!

• CIMG1107.jpg
    CIMG1107.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 258
Supertramp, sad isn't it!
Nice parking by the way, someone needs to take those shopping trolleys to hand! They're a law unto themselves, you find them loitering everywhere, should take a leaf out of their cousins book, (shopping baskets), always find them hanging out together, generally in shop doorways, like little old ladies gossiping!

Rudi.

If we haven't scared Jenny off yet - some sensible info:

The best Renault 4 for beginners is the GTL (1981 to 1986 in the UK, and up to 1992 elsewhere in Europe). This version has the biggest engine (1100cc) and is perfectly good as an everyday car up to 20 miles commute to work every day. More than that might be tiring, but less than 20 miles is fun every time. Best of all the GTL is newer than any of the the older cars so should generally be less rusty.

The pre-1981 cars (the TLs) have an 850cc engine and are even older than GTLs, but are more fun, if a bit slower on motorways.

Every Renault 4 is much the same in size and shape (apart from the van which was much more van like and had fewer rear seats). Colours make a difference because Renault 4s have a soul. They know what colour they are and behave accordingly. But it might be possible to persuade a red one go faster than a blue one if you can establish a really good relationship with it. If you can work out the Karma you might even persuade your Red Renault to go as fast as Ian's green one (doesn't it look green to everyone else?)

I'm still here! I think you're all nuts, but I'm still here.

They are ALL beautiful and I'm feeling pretty confident that I could bond and have a good meaningful relationship with any colour...

(I'm keeping out of the green/blue thing)

Thanks for the posts both sensible & not-so-sensible - they gave me a good laugh. Loving the spoiler picture!

I KNOW my car is out there and I think fate will unite us one day, till then i'll just have to be patient. Maybe patience is a necessary trait for R4 owners and this is just my initiation.

Jenny said:
Maybe patience is a necessary trait for R4 owners and this is just my initiation.
Jenny, have They told you about the barrage of psychological tests you have to undergo before becoming a R4 owner? :eek:
If you're as psychological as Ian you can just think a blue car is green to make it go faster. I don't know if this has been done with a red car yet but let us know when you get one. ;)

You mean like this one?

0e_1.JPG

Only 100km on the clock!!!

Back