Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Plein Air on Youtube!

angel

Enthusiast
Look what I found on youtube:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pO2i52fxULQ

No doubt the Plein Air is original. Judging from the "lovehandles" it is not French specification, its numberplate is Greek (Rhodes Island, where it was filmed) and registered in 1972. All showing that it is an official Greek import. Amazing! I supposed the Plein Air never came here.
While it has all the Plein Air details (aluminum cappings, long chrome strips) it seems to have been resprayed (this bordeaux should be a Renault colour code, though) as the side decals are absent. Made me really curious about the existance of other Plein Airs here!

Cool. Didn't the French Plein Airs come with love handles? And apart from the missing decals was there a range of Plein Air Colours?

Should imagine Greece is too hot to be driving open cars around in the summer. Maybe they were available but nobody ordered one. What's that chasing the Plain Air?

No, the lovehandles were not provided on french specivication cars. If you look at the press/brochure photos, no Plein Air has them.

I don't think the weather was a hindrance to own a Plein Air here. I think the main reason was the price of it. In the 60s-early 70s it was still considered a luxury to own a car here...the R4 was always thought to be pricey (most people kept thinking that a car's price is a direct function of its cubic capacity!!). I guess that one had been bought as a special order by a car hire company, it was usual for them to have funny jeep-like cars in their fleet.

From what has been posted here, it appears that there were no colour options apart from white for the Plein Air (and some yellow Renault promo vehicles). Its hood does not seem to me original.

Back