Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Points gap feeler gauge

Sprackers

Enthusiast
Morning chaps, I’ve arrived back in France to pick up Christine from the car park.
Last time we changed the condenser. I’m now going to change the points. I’ve got my feeler gauge with me but I couldn’t find anywhere on clementine garage the optimum gap.
Any help with this would be great.
I’ve also got my strobe gun to check the timing.
By the way. It’s boiling here in Bordeaux long term car park.
Merci
Sprackers

When adjusting the points gap and the timing, remember to adjust the points first, then adjust the timing. This is because any adjustment to the point gap would alter the timing, so if the timing is set and then the points, the timing would be disturbed. The points gap should be a "sliding fit" using a feeler gauge, although if you have access to a dwell angle meter (some multi-meters have this function) you'll be able to obtain a much more accurate setting.

Happy to advise further if needed!

Many thanks. The car won’t start so I’m hoping this will fix it. If not I’m camping in Leroy Merlin car park Mérignac, which is we’re we are now.

Will report

Cheers chaps. She fired up a beauty. Now timing.
I have done this before so I seem to remember it’s 7degrees tdc.

I’ve cleaned up my little window and I’ve marked where I think it should be. Tell me if I’m about right

IMG_2559.jpeg

I’ve cleaned up my little window and I’ve marked where I think it should be. Tell me if I’m about right

IMG_2559.jpeg

Assuming you have correctly set the points, proceed as follows:

1/ Take the plugs out first, which makes turning the engine over much easier. Now turn the engine, using either the fan belt or the starting handle until the marks indicated on the picture line up. Now the clever bit begins:
2/ You'll need a 5 watt bulb, as used for the tail light, and two wires, with crocodile clips on one end and the other end connected to each side of the bulb. A good way to do this is to have the bulb in a plastic holder, to which two wires can be attached.
3/ Attach one of the crocodile clips to the "C.B." connection on the coil. (If you're not sure which one this is, it's the wire that goes from the coil to the distributor) and connect the other crocodile clip to a good earth. [This is how the adjustment works: when the ignition is switched on the 12 volts run into the coil and out to the points, which, when closed, allows the 12 volts to run to earth. When the points open this route to earth is blocked, producing a huge voltage in the other winding in the coil, which passes to the sparking plug. We need to find at precisely when the points open, and the light bulb will lights this happens, as the 12 volts can't run through the points as they open, so runs through the bulb, lighting it].
4/ Loosen the bolt holding the distributor to the block, which will allow it to move. Switch on the ignition but don't start the engine. Using both hands g-e-n-t-l-y rotate the distributor one way and then the other, to establish the point at which the light bulb j-u-s-t begins to light. At this setting the points are j-u-s-t beginning to open. To confirm this is the right setting, remove the H.T. lead from the coil (to prevent the car inadvertently starting!) and rotate the engine through one complete turn. As the timing marks come together again confirm the light bulb ignites precisely at this point.
5/ Clamp the distributor bolt, replace the H.T. lead, and go for a drive!

Fredrick the frog's point of view about timing can be found here: https://www.renault4.co.uk/tech-points.htm On the 1108 engine red line is top dead centre. Anywhere to the right is advanced. I normally go somewhere in the middle. Worth listening for a tinking noise (pinking) on light throttle up hill. If you get that reduce advance. Otherwise increase advance - these engines are 40 years old and book values are only a starting point.

View attachment 32128
Do as @André4Renaults describes, first set the point gap and then the timing.
Loking at your picture @Sprackers, you're not quite there yet, I only see starter ring teeth.
Look for the notch and you're there regarding setting the timing.
Timing mark 1 is TDC, mark 2 is advance and described by @malcolm.
Keep in mind that the Cleon (and Sierra) engines rotates counter clockwise as seen from flywheel side, Billancourt engines rotate clockwise so don't mix them up :whistle:
1692685100173.png

Back