Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

production identification

ggcton

Enthusiast
Does anyone have a table of production numbers identifying oval plate numbers to year of manufacture?
Gary

search the forum for " r codes "

i have the old parts books which went with the microfiche...may be able to sort out???

The date of manufacture is relevant if Tax-Exempt status is sought. Anything manufactured before 01.01.1973 is eligible : a car registered later (e.g. a UK car with an L suffix registration, or a foreign vehicle imported without papers) may nevertheless have been manufactured before the magic date.

Presumably "Gary" is looking for whether a vehicle is tax-exempt. The Thread "Chassis numbers and dates" gives some information. But a more relevant question is this : to prove Tax-exempt status to the DVLA you need either (i) hard information from the manufacturer or (ii) a letter from a DVLA-approved enthusiasts' club certifying the date of manufacture.

I believe that Renault have junked all their manufacture records for R4s so the first option is not available. Does anyone know if there is a club which is authorised by the DVLA to certify Renault manufacture dates for Tax Exempt status?

Both renault owners club and Renault Classic Car club are DVLA clubs.
I need the information for a friend with a barn find 4 van who is trying to establish the year of manufacture.
I may well have the information at home but I am in Spain at present.
I have the micro fische and some books.
Gary

what year do you think the van is? i have a couple of f4 vans here and one of those is tax exempt so if you want me to check anything, just ask.

Mike

I have both Gazoline "Votre Auto" publications that have oval plate numbers for all R4 types. Note that they refer to model year ("millesime"), not calendar year. A model year starts from August of previous year and ends July of the current year.

It would be too much time consuming to list all these numbers on a post, so better give here the type and oval plate number and I will try to decode it.

Oval plate numbers on plein airs

I am trying to sort out the numbers on the oval plate on R4's. It usually has three numbers, the top one refers to the type of R4, e.g. for my original Sinpar Plein Air the number is R1123, the number in the middle refers to a country or region specific series, e.g. 100 for France, 120 for Germany and 250 for North America. The bottom number, I believe, is the production number of the type specified on the plate, on my Plein Air this is 690863, which suggests that it is the 690863th R1123 (That seems a lot). Is this correct and what is the country series number for UK. Is it 300?

It's exactly as you thought it. Yours is the 690863rd R1123 (don't be surprised, some 2.500.000 of them had been built!). It had been built in 1969 model year (starting with 627132).
3xx equipment number must be a "special equipment LHD version" .I think they used that numbering for the late 6-volt cars, they changed to 5xx in 1971.Does your R4 has that extra wide and thick gearbox undertray, to start with?

i've got two codes here, wondering where the date of production is,etc,

what does it all mean?

confused Steven

• IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 218
  • SAM_0123.jpg
    SAM_0123.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 215
very interesting

Ive been on this case for over 2 years...the 2 reconised clubs the dvla suggest are about as usefull a chocolate cam shaft and renault are just not interested..[land rover have a department at gaydon and are really switched on]my diamond plate is5133060 and oval is 1302767...any help would be great..my car was delivered on 22.03.73 to dbs garages ltd [which is now a bmw garage...and the guys and girls there have really had a good go at helping] in Angmering..on another note, the car is having a temporary make over in blue and yellow stars to help raise money for the stars appeal at salisbury district hospital

According to the gazoline Guide your number is 1973.
They list 1973 as starting 1239157 to 1357385 but it is not clear if the Renault numbering system was from October 72 to september 73
I do not know the source of their numbers but perhaps you could contact them and see if they can help.
The other option is Renault Classic in France (was Histoire and collection until a few months ago.)
Gary RCCC

Steven, the first one is 1965, the second one must be 1962 (without equipment code-early!). The key number is the oval plate one, the other is just for registration purposes.
That little "70" on the first oval plate is equipment code according to country of destination (changed later to 3 digit).

Gary, production numbers always refer to model year, that is, July of previous year to June of current year.

Thanks for that Angel. I guess it goes along with year - batch numbers. The first image is off my car, which was sold to the original owner in London and then he shipped it out here to Canberra. So I guess the 70 corresponds to Uk delivery cars?
BTW I hope to have my car finally running this weekend after rebuilding the engine, it has taken far longer than I had anticipated but thems the breaks! I am hoping to get over to Thenay in July, is it going to huge or what? I went to the Paris DS 50th and had a exhaust filled day.

Also I am trying to get the hinge pin off the back that the rear door lifts from, the left hand side one with the nut on it, does anyone know if this has a a thread right through the hinge that is attached to the roof, it is a real bugger to get off. (rust...)

Looking forward to meeting some of you folks.

Cheers

Steven

No the hinge pin has a ribbed outer diameter and is an interference fit on the body part of the hinge.
It needs considerable hammering to get off, and you risk breaking the hinge. Try heating the hinge first (it will mean that the place will have to be resprayed afterwards).

Yep drillng out sorted that little issue out! A word to anyone rebuilding an R4 engine, putyour fuel pump on before dropping enginw back in, they're a swine to fit on with motor in! Also remwmber the bracing bracket over starter motor!

Oval plate numbers on plein airs

Thanks for your reply, Angel. My car does have the extra thick gearbox undertray, but it has the 250 series number on the oval plate. I imported it from Canada.
The reason for asking what the UK series number is, is that I am also trying to sort out the numbers on the oval plate of one of the UK plein airs in the Plein Air Register (#21) of www.renault4pleinair.com
1-94.jpg

Back