Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R 5 Front wheel play

lazyduck15

Enthusiast
Hi all!

I just replace boots to an R5 front wheels, but to my surprise, I have found that on passenger side after tightening the nut, the wheel still has some play, I did not notice while disassembling. Drivers side does not. Might it be an issue of the wheel bearings or something else? If bearings, what would be the identification numbers to purchase them at a bearings shop, supposing they are any standard.
Any help is very much appreciated

It sounds like you have worn wheel-bearings. Once you have removed them you should be able to see the part numbers stamped or engraved on them. Any good bearing supplier should be able to help you, and they shouldn't break the bank. Might be an idea to try tightening the stub-axle nut first, just to see if you can take up any wear, but DON'T over tighten. Regards Brian.

They are industry-standard sizes (30x62x15 if I remember correctly), it is not necessary to buy them as Renault parts.

The outer one had a groove on the outer ring, to accept an O-ring, I think you can also find such a bearing.

Check that the source of play is actually the bearings and not their loose fit in the stub axle carrier (occasionally happens on high mileage vehicles). If they slide freely in their bores, assemble them with a little bearing mounting compound (from Permatex, Loctite etc).

Thank you Brian And Angel
I have been out of town for a while and I could not check your comments.
Yes, I have tighten a little bit more the nut (no reducing the play) and checked for wear in the carrier. No wear . It looks like a case of bearings.
Removing the bearings requires any special procedure or tool? Any advice to do it safely?

Regards Javier

Back