Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 Carb 28 Zenith and distibrutor cap adjustment??? help!

Ivan

Enthusiast
Hi,
I own 91' GTL!
I have a major problem! My R4 started to sound really strange when in park position. As I encountered this problem 1 week ago when I have changed distributor cap and sparks, my first thought was that that might be the problem!
What really happens is that sparks do not light them selfes equally. For example....I opened the hood at dark so I could see the spark light and it was like this...first round goes by the book, but then first spark light it self 2times and 4th 2times. In that point the engine runs faster, but it seem like it skips 2nd and 3rd spark...
I have also connected this problem with another althoug i think it is the same problem. The problem is when i am braking and i have my cluch pressed, the engine drops down it RPM's to the level of turning off. But it never turns off completely! However when I stop braking the engine return it's RPM's to normal 900+/- and it runs like explained before with sparks! So my several thoughts are that I have to adjust distirbutor angle, mixture of air and fuel on my carb!?? So if anyone encountered that kind of problem please help!?? I would also be gratefull if you could explain me how to find right angle of distributor cap and how ti adjust carb mixture of air and fuel!

thanks!

Ivan

Zagreb, Croatia

P.S. I am sorry if my english is not so great but I belive you will understand what I am writing :)

Hi Ivan, i would suggest you change contact points, rotor arm and most of all condensor, as this may be weak and causing a not so clean spark, if you have a dwell meter i would adjust points to 63 degree dwell. It may also be good to change the main lead from the coil to the centre of the distributor cap.
as for the carb i would check that the breather pipe from carb to inlet manifold is connected and that the little restrictor which is at the lower end of this pipe (inside it ) is not blocked.
On the side of the carburettor nearest the exhaust pipe you will see a screw with a spring, this is the mixture screw, as a general guide if you screw it in clockwise until it stops and then unscrew it one and a half full turns the mixture should be somewhere near right, however, as this problem came up suddenly i would be tempted not to alter the mixture before checking the other points first as the mixture does not tend to go out of adjustment all of a sudden, i feel your problem will be with the contact points and condensor and or rotor arm,
Regards, Ian

I'm worried that you can see sparks in the dark. Are you using a strobe light or removing the plug leads to look at the sparks or are they arcing somewhere? Arcing is not good.

Once you have a new set of points and condensor it might be worth checking the spark plug leads. If they are old and hardened then they might cause this problem.

Do you have a manual to help set the ignition timing? You need to reference the distributor angle from a mark on the crankshaft, which is explained in the manual.

Does the 1991 Renault 4 have a brake servo? I'm not familiar with the later cars as they weren't imported into the UK.

:clementi:

Thanks guys for helping me out!

Ok what I did?
I have changed rotor arm, spark plugs, distributor cap, condensor, contanct points! Total cost cca 20 pounds if converted from my currency here in Croatia
Now the next thing!
The engine is running fine at the moment! However, as Ian told me a tip how to make an adjustment of mixture I tried to do so and I encountered a problem of engine shudown when the screw is screwed like Ian told me! Should I leave as it was before or?
The answer on the Clementine question is that i don't think so! I belive it is the same as the models before!
Well my R4 has 200978 miles (321566 kilometers), so I am planing now to fix my engine at local renault mechanics service cause my oil consumption has increased and it does not apply with ECO TEST It showed 9,7% CO2. Now I have 1l on 500 miles, before 1 year it was 1500 miles. So if you have some advice on what should I pay attention before giving my car on fixing, be free to share!! I know, I know I can't expect too much of a car that had passed 200978 miles, but I am planing to repair it completely and when the time comes to store it in my garage so I could remeber of great times I have had with it. So called sentimental value! :)
Don't worry I still plan to drive with it miles and miles :))

thanks

Ivan

Ian's advice on mixture setting - with the screw 1.5 turns out normally works for earlier cars.

1 litre per 500 miles is very high oil consumption. It sounds like you may need a new engine soon if it has become so much worse so quickly. It might be possible to pass the eco test by screwing the mixture screw inwards temporarily (just for the test), and then screwing it back out for normal driving, but you might get too much NOX by doing that. I guess it's worth a try.

:clementi:

Back