Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 Driveshaft wanted

RichardIRL

Enthusiast
Does anybody know where I can get hold of a driveshaft for the left hand side (driver's side) of a 1987 LHD GTL?

If anybody has a 77 part code that would be great.

Thanks

Richard, any good motor factor can source a good recon one. All GTL drive shafts are the same either side so I'm sure that somebody on here has a secondhand one. I have some but the cost to post to Ireland would be enormous. GTL driveshafts rarely wear out unless the rubber boot/s gets a hole in it and s**t gets into the joints, they will last the life of the car and beyond!! Also remember that the Mk1 R5 uses the same driveshafts also - there just has to be one for you in the Emerald Isle!!

Thank you. I'll try a motor factors first, but my experience with them for R4-specific parts is not encouraging.

I'd love to know what they look like or what the french for driveshaft is, so that I could ebay it.

It is spilling oil. I was me that it could be dangerous if not repaired soon. It was sealed as a temporary measure.

Thank you. I'll try a motor factors first, but my experience with them for R4-specific parts is not encouraging.

I'd love to know what they look like or what the french for driveshaft is, so that I could ebay it.

It is spilling oil. I was me that it could be dangerous if not repaired soon. It was sealed as a temporary measure.

Richard! if spilling Oil (from inner-joint/gearbox?)I would guess it's the oil-seal/zimmer-ring as there is no oil inside
driveshafts only grease in the joints!
IF seal are shot you need pt#77 03 087 087 the seal measures 36X54X7,50 If you have trouble locating them let me know I have just ordered 2 as spares..... -R.

I was going to ask richard that question as well!!! However, while it's true that there is grease in the drive shaft boots, it gets very runny over a number of years.

If it is gearbox oil that is leaking then it will have that distinctive EP90 smell. Do get some new seals but also don't forget the sealing ring on the seal retainer. This is an easy job to sort out as long as some basic rules are followed (and that the drive shafts come out of the hub easily, and the ball joints separate).

Hi Steve! like you I have 4 spares (used)driveshafts but sending some from here would probably be 50% of cost of refurb'd or aftermarked ones.Mine were the same on Roffen (R4F4-84)and on R5 (Gtl-77)plus on R4TL(84) Glanzer Spicer all measured 67cm compressed.
Hope you get it sorted soon Richard!
-R.

Reidalpine, it's actually the rubber circular thing at the near the wheel that I need. You wouldn't happen to have a 77 code for that would you? That would be great if you did.

I'll get a picture of it later.

Hi Richard! sorry it took me a while to find the info..
The rubber-gaiter or boot you're looking for is Pt#77 01 457 538 comes with
a pack of grease.Still available from Renault,so shouldn't be a prob.

Last edited:
Am I missing something here? Richard are you looking for an outer drive shaft boot?

If so either buy the genuine Renault one or a local garage will fit a universal one using a special conical tool where the drive shaft does not need to be dismantled.

Yes it's a rubber part that I need. Sorry about the confusion, I just have no knowledge of anything mechanical at all as you can tell.

You're all very incredibly helpful though, thanks very much.

:)

It's so much easier ordering a part for the R4 when you have the 77 number. Is there anywhere I could get my hands on a listing of all the part numbers for R4 parts?

check out eBay for Orig.Parts catalog (Pink book)covering your car..
All the numbers are in there-plus exploded wiev of all parts so you see how and where they fit.. -R.

I brought the car to the mechanic today who unfortunately could not swap the rubber part without splitting the driveshaft, for which he said he needed a specific tool, which is difficult to find.

Does anybody know where to find this tool?

Back