Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 oil & gearbox

Gav e boy

Enthusiast
Hi all! new hear, would like some advice on oil change, I have a 1988 r4f4 van. I've had her for just over a week now with full service record up till 140,000km, she's now on 149,000 km, and she's runs like a dream. after a couple of cans of wd40 all the squeak's and anouying noisy's have gone and I've found no rust on frames or body work, after a T cut on the original cream paint job she look's great, I am wondering should I do an oil change and what oil to use, also how is the gear box oiled any more advice would be great! will send photo of her soon! many thanks. GAV

OOP'S

oop's! just found oil change page, doe's this 20/50 still apply to 88 models and still not sure about gear box lubrication though. also would it be wise to add any additives to petrol or oil to clean system up GAV.

Welcome to the forum Gav

My manual (1984) suggests changing the oil every 7,500km, and the filter every 15,000km. The oils they suggest are 15/40, 20/40 or 20/50. These numbers are normally only found in cheap oil these days (which is OK by me). This should be right for the later cars too (they didn't make any big changes to the engine).

The gearbox oil is SAE 80. The handbook recommends this is changed every 60,000km.

You don't need to use any additives in the oil or petrol for that year of car. Just change the oil regularly and the mechanical bits will last forever.

Another thing while you are inside the engine bay - smear some grease on the gear linkage where it passes through the rubber ring on top of the radiator. It really improves the gearchange.

Sounds like a good van. I'll look forward to the photos. Must admit I didn't realise F4s were made for so long (apart from maybe for the post office).

thank's for info clementine' I'm going try to up load some pics I took today

van_1_176.jpg

not sure why these vans had windows in the sides there are no rear seats does anyone no if they were desighed for a percific purpose

Last edited by a moderator:
happy in her new home

van_1b_201.jpg

just before a storm hope you like the pics!

just one more for now! I'm still reluctant to put bales of straw and the dog in the back. buy the way the avatar pic on the left is the same van just played around in photoshop for a bit

van_1a_811.jpg

the only thing i would like to had is maybe two new seats there a bit tatty but surprisinly comfortable

Your R4 looks (and is) new!!! I think that a cheap 20W/50 oil is more than enough for a 5-bearing 34HP engine that will not rev past 5000 rpm.Bear in mind that the origins of this engine are back in the early sixties (Renault 8) when the oil quality was much lower than today.As for gearbox,make sure that the lubricant is suitable for hypoid gearing. A note on Clementine's suggestion about gearshift lubrication: when you put grease on the plastic bushing,the gearshift works fine for a while but because grease attracts dust, the bearing is quickly covered with muck and gear lever action becomes worse.This is especially true at the front bushing that is more exposed.These bushings do not need lubrication,better clean them and the lever thoroughly and leavethem or spray a light coat of silicone spray or better some talcum powder

just for the record.. the windows in the rear are for visibility, pulling out of angled junctions.. wish i had them in my express, it's a nightmare to get to the passenger window...
also there are quite a few vans like yours down here in the south of france if you dont mind LHD.. have not seen one in condition like yours though!

Back