Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 Real Tragics

benchseat

Enthusiast
We are all R4 Tragics, but following the recent Forum discussion of R4s in films and TV, it would be interesting to know what unusual activities people are indulging in (other than R4 work and the other obvious one), during lockdown.
Possibly Forum members could come forward and reveal the most geeky/tragic/pointless methods of time-wasting to which they have been reduced in these interesting times. Malcolm could then, in his capacity as Moderator, judge which is the most anorak-y.
For me, it has been spotting R4s on the silver screen, as previously discussed, plus re-reading a book entitled "70 Years Of French Sugar-Beet Railways" (I felt I hadn’t appreciated the book fully on first reading, so I decided that I’d betterave another look at it).

I think so : go to the LR PRESSE website and they have copies. If not there is one on Abebooks. ISBN is ISBN 10: 2903651477 ISBN 13: 9782903651473 and the title is 70 ans de chemins de fer betteraviers en France by Eric Fresné.

Unusual activities.... whatching my old skydive video's, here's a picture from 1995 when we became FS4 national champion with our team "Frantic Moves" the guy on the left that's me :cool:
1589473432306.png

Furthermore hard at work and no time for reading the unread books of my Science-Fiction and Fantasy book collection (mainly Dutch first editions only). https://www.catawiki.nl/verzameling...5d7b038109912e12a/g/na/s/1/0/SO_9/a?user=JdeW

I would be the worst person to be the judge. People can use the like button to vote for their favourite.

I've been really busy working harder than I ever did just to try to avoid the hole. It's actually working good so far. Mostly on the house, but that's all really physical work and I'm lining myself up to do some work on the cars as a break for when my muscles complain. Haven't done a lot else. Too tired! Lost 4kg since the start of it all so I'm looking really good too!

Do you think that importing a Renault 4 from France to the UK is difficult? How about a Dassault Mirage 4?.... this took over ten years of negotiation at all levels to enable the gift of this iconic Mach 2 aircraft to be moved from Paris to York just over three years ago.
https://yorkshireairmuseum.org/exhibits/cold-war-aircraft/dassault-mirage-iva/
In my capacity as chairman of trustees at the Yorkshire Air Museum at the time, the red tape was unbelievable, but with a dedicated and focussed team together with consistent support from both RAF and FAF, as well as both embassies, it eventually came to fruition.
Coincidentally the French Air Force also used the Renault 4 (painted olive drab) as ground support vehicles, some Sinpar 4x4. Any spare for the museum? Happy to host a Renault 4 event there after the lockdown, easy travel from the Netherlands via Rotterdam/Hull.....

Mirage IV flight.jpgMirage IV Paris.jpgMirage IV York.jpg

Happy to negotiate a 'staff discount' for an Renault 4 event, or just normal admission. As well as the aircraft, the Yorkshire Air Museum was part of RAF Elvington (now under separate private ownership), which has an amazing two-mile long runway (known locally as the Richard Hammond straight...) that has hosted many of the UK land speed records. For the full cultural experience, the heritage delights of York are just a few miles away.aerial-map-air-museum.jpg

And the big black building is FULL of planes including the only Halifax in existence and a Dakota you can get into, though not the cockpit.

I would be the worst person to be the judge. People can use the like button to vote for their favourite.

I've been really busy working harder than I ever did just to try to avoid the hole. It's actually working good so far. Mostly on the house, but that's all really physical work and I'm lining myself up to do some work on the cars as a break for when my muscles complain. Haven't done a lot else. Too tired! Lost 4kg since the start of it all so I'm looking really good too!
That’s great news Malcolm. Physical work is really good for the mind and body and having something to focus on like your house is a great and useful asset. I’ve been doing loads of DIY too but so far nearly all of it on my girlfriends house ! Time to get on with mine now.

Back