Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 Safari ... how much is it worth ?

calcaneu

Hello everyone ! I'm new to this forum , since I was into Beetles :)
I found a R4 Safari in pretty good shape , spare engine , new front shocks (Monroe) , a little rust and a price of aprox 300 euros ... is this car worth this money ? I probably could find a R4 that is not a limited edition at a lower price ..

I'm sorry I have no pictures , the weather was terrible :(

Thanks a lot !!

That does sound like a good price. It's easy to spend 300 euros on a set of tyres, an exhaust, a radiator etc.

Where are you located? I'd have it at that price. :)

Yup

Well , i'm kind of far away , in Romania , so 300 euros is more like 3 future salaries as an intern :(
My main problem is the performance that i could get from this car ( 850cm3 ) and second the availability of spare parts at a reasonable price.
Does anyone have an idea if the safari edition does have some unique qualities , except for the great seats ? :wink:
Thanks a lot for the advice !

I think the safari had cool seats, a sunroof and some special paint colours but those were the only differences from the standard R4. All R4s are slow, but I managed to drive from the UK to Slovakia in an 850cc car. It would cruise flat out at about 115km/h.

The Renault 4s tend to be cheap to run - fuel economy is good, and because they are light and underpowered they don't wear out as quickly as other cars.

Wow ! that was real quick ! :cool:
This one has no sun roof :( and it's painted orange ...
Thanks again !!

R4 Safari had those great seats, rubber strips on the middle of the doors,storage bins on the inside of the front doors,all chrome trim painted black,Renault 5TS steering wheel and body colors not found on other R4s.Orange was not an original color but I think it matches perfectly the seats! Sunroof was an option,some of them didn't have it. If the car is in good condition,300 euros are good. Some mechanical parts are interchangeable with R12/Dacia,so you should have no problem... Are there a lot of other R4s in Romania?

Unfortunately , this is the first R4 I've seen around , although my passion for old cars is pretty recent , so I didn't use to pay a lot of attention to them :(
It's great to know that I can use R12 parts , since there's a lot of old Dacia here from the 70's with a lot of original french parts (the original french 4 speed gearbox from the 70's is far superior to the romanian 5 speed box on my 1997 Dacia ) .
Thanks !

Back