Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 Service van colours?

Simon.AU

Enthusiast
Anybody out there have any pics of 1960's Renault R4 service vans?

In the long awaited refurb of my van, I'm thinking of painting it in service van or Renault Competition course assistance liveries.

Current scruffy condition pics are as below.

• r4vanfrontsmall.jpg
    r4vanfrontsmall.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 617
  • r4vanrearsmall.jpg
    r4vanrearsmall.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 604
Pictures of service vans are really rare. So far I've only found 2. One original and one resprayed F4 with side windows and rear bench.Service van

Great signwriting!

Also, are there any set colours for the R4? Are there any no nos?
Car version not commercial vehicles.

Julia

The link to the german site about 3 posts above has the colour codes for the production colours. They are all three letter codes, but if you say to a paintshop you want "Renault 308" then most likely they'll give you a pot of yellow.

Nice pic of a real service van, as for others, I've only got what the Renault suggestion was for the mid 1970's workshop vehicles.

• DSC02116.JPG
    DSC02116.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 515
I'd half a feeling that the '60s service vans were painted in red. But I'm at a loss for evidence at the moment.

I prefer the yellow and white version though. And the advantage of a lack of documentation means you should be safe to do your own thing.

Simon, where did you find that jewel of information? All I have to go by is what I remember seeing some 20 years ago at the local dealer and 1 reliable picture off the internet. Personally I'm more interested in the late 70's-80's paintscheme. For white I was thinking of using 355 white, although that colour was discontinued after 1982.

Wingnut said:
Simon, where did you find that jewel of information?

That pic comes from a four volume after sales service document (DS 1398, 77 01 441 674). It must have cost a fortune to make, all the books are cloth bound with padded covers contained in a cloth bound folder. It goes through the motions on how to set up a successful dealership in terms of layout and management. Being produced in 1977, all the drawings and pics are fairly flambuoyant, with wide ties and orange and brown plastic furniture featuring prominently.

Clementine said:
I'd half a feeling that the '60s service vans were painted in red. But I'm at a loss for evidence at the moment.

It was sort of a deep orange colour with white doors and roof for the service vehicles, so fairly close to red, but I've just not seen the format and layout of the signwriting for the 1960's versions. Then again that being the case, nobody will be able to pick it as being wrong either :-)

Clementine said:
Here's a photo of a model of an earlier service van with signwriting from
They say it's 1972, but looks a little earlier to me.

Thanks for that pic, that Renault Service logo on the door is pre 1967, after that it changed slightly.

Back